cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Site Design & Hosting

wharfe

Web Site Design & Hosting

Hi there
I've had a force9 account for a good number of years with a domain name & emails that I use for business. So far I haven't built a web site in spite of having 250mb of allocated space. There are a lot of companies with free software to build a basic site but it includes having the website hosted by them.
Looking at other posts this seems to be a nightmare with accounts closed and mistakes made as emails are not transferable. I phoned the tech desk to ask what basic website software would be suitable for me to build a website but got no help at all and I am still unsure of the way to progress. I doubt my standard is well below that required for Dreamweaver let alone save up for the cost, so what software could I use ie Serif or something similar to put my site onto force9 (Plusnet).  Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Web Site Design & Hosting

I'm not au fait with what standalone website builders there are out there at the moment but it's worth bearing in mind that your Plusnet webspace only allows static content which limits what you can do e.g. contact forms/forums and the like are out of the question.
Some online builders will let you point a domain to them using A and CNAME DNS records. It might be worth you looking for something like that?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Take a look at LCN.com
They have some excellent packages, not overly expensive and there's loads of 'free' tools available.  Support is excellent too.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: wharfe
I've had a force9 account for a good number of years with a domain name & emails that I use for business. So far I haven't built a web site in spite of having 250mb of allocated space ...  what software could I use ie Serif or something similar to put my site onto force9 (Plusnet).  Thanks.

Hi wharfe, did you get anything sorted?  Building a website is a bit challenging at the outset, but if you just want to put up basic stuff like details about your business, how to get in touch, and a few photos, you could learn how to do that in a day or two with something like Arachnophilia Legacy (free software).  It's fairly basic but easy to understand and work with.  Worth a look, maybe Smiley
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.