cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing internet usage

dabow
Rising Star

Viewing internet usage

For some time now I have been unable to view my internet usage statistics. There is always the same message saying its presently unavailable. Has this facility been "Switched off" or is there a standing problem ?

I have requested information  via the normal "questions" route but had no reply yet, over the last two days.

Can anyone throw any light on this situation please ?

7 REPLIES 7
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Viewing internet usage

@dabow

It is a known problem at Plusnet and has been since November 2016 when they deliberately disabled usage counting for unlimited accounts due to issues with their new network. See https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Usage-figures/m-p/1388760#M16471 from 25th November 2016 which states 

Apologies. The fact your usage has stopped reporting is a product of the ongoing investigations into reports of packet loss around these parts.

It's a temporary measure, however I'm unable to tell you when it will return to normal just yet.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
dabow
Rising Star

Thanks Bob for the info, question sorted. Cheers.

SpendLessTime
Hero

I was quoting Bob's post on the other thread for clarity here, as the song says "That's not my name" Wink

dabow
Rising Star

Apologies" Spend Less Time" for the error .Too busy looking at the message content to notice correct contributer! Thanks again for your time to reply.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@SpendLessTime wrote:

@dabow

It is a known problem at Plusnet and has been since November 2016

I've known about it since July 2016, and so have PN because I informed them.

SpendLessTime
Hero

@Jonpe

They has always been an issue with usage figures which would randomly stop and then restart for an individual user. This has been going on for years.

What is different here is that Plusnet has deliberately stop recording across any unlimited account that is connected via certain (selected) gateways. That action is publically acknowledged as happening In November 2016. And it is a direct consequence of the implementation of the Plusnet new network which when usage collection is enabled, it caused packet loss in that gateway.

So even if Plusnet figure out what on the new network infrastructure needs to be fixed to re-enable it and they action that, the random problem for an individual will probably still continue.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

In my case the only previous problem with the usage meter was that usage took a while to appear over a bank holiday weekend.  I checked here and a number of other customers had the same problem at that time.  The last actual usage available to me was for 20th July 2016, and as far as I can see I was transferred to the new network the following day with only a few KB recorded that day.

The actual meter itself was replaced with the 'back in 4 hours' message in mid-October 2016.