cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version Control

jabb0
Grafter

Version Control

As it stands i have got about half a dozen versions of some code which i have been working on over the years.
They are all stored in standard directories on my hard drive.
I had a system failure on my development machine recently, during which i managed to loose my latest version, not the end of the world but a headache to say the least.
I have been looking at things like CVS and Aegis, but really as far as this is concerned i am a complete n00b.
So i turn to you guys for a little help and advice on what i could do to implement version control, the ideal setup would be to have the versions stored remotely on my live webspace, i can then check them in and out - and should my local development machine get vaporised for whatever reason then at least the loss would be minimal.
Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing, developing in Linux +  PHP.
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Version Control

Subversion, subversion, subversion, subversion.
Oh, I might have missed it... SUBVERSION.
Much better than CVS imho.  You can use a windows product called TortoiseSVN to manage the checking in and out.
You can branch, tag, and merge to trunk very easily
Visual Diff included
I love it Smiley
It probably wouldn't work with your Plusnet webspace (it needs DAV support compiled into Apache).  However, you can have a Subversion repository locally on your machine, and simply include it in your usual backup.  (you do HAVE a regular backup, I'm sure ;))
B.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: Version Control

I agree with Barry, I'd go for SVN. I used it briefly working on a project and must say it was pretty solid.