cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verifying Plusnet-hosted domain on Google Workspace - CNAME fields??

FIXED
diatomdeb
Grafter

Verifying Plusnet-hosted domain on Google Workspace - CNAME fields??

I have a domain hosted by Plusnet which I want to use with Google Workspace for email, and they require verification that I am the owner. They have two verification methods, adding a TXT record or adding a CNAME record to the DNS settings for my domain. Plusnet doesn't seem to offer a TXT field I can change, so looking at the CNAME field, Google supply a Label/Host field and a Destination/Target field. If I go to configure a new CNAME record on Plusnet, it offers Left field, Type (set to CNAME), Pri, and Right field. Where do I put the fields from Google? Thanks for any help!!

4 REPLIES 4
diatomdeb
Grafter

Re: Verifying Plusnet-hosted domain on Google Workspace - CNAME fields??

Well I finally got a Plusnet response via Twitter and the upshot is that I am not allowed to do it. The only suggestion was for me to find another provider! Why offer domain hosting if you can't do anything with it? Guess they want to reduce everything to just offering fibre packages and are discouraging the webspace and domain/email users. So, sadly I'll be leaving Plusnet after 20 years as a customer. 😔

Jon
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 3

Fix

Hi,

The left field should be the Label/Host field and the right field should be the destination I believe. 
Sorry it's been years since I've used our DCS, but when I had my domains in it, I'm 99% certain that's how I set it up.

edit: Forgot to add, leave PRI blank; this is used for MX records, not CNAME.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Jon Smith
 Plusnet Infrastructure Operations Professional
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Jon's right - definitely possible. There are some nuances to be aware of though.

@diatomdeb - if you drop me a private message containing the necessary detail then I'll put the record(s) in place for you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

diatomdeb
Grafter

@Jon @bobpullen  Thank you very much for your replies and offers to help, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I have already moved my domain hosting back to Network Solutions where I first registered it, where I was able to alter the DNS settings as required. I'm grateful for your replies, though!