cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN stopped working

RobChafer
Dabbler

VPN stopped working

I connect via a VPN to a company I work with and it has stopped working - which is quite frustrating.  I am using L2TP and I have powered everything off -- fibre modem and my PC to no avail. I use this VPN successfully most days.  If I use my phone I can set up a VPN and it doesn't work whilst I am connected to my broadband wireless. If I disconnect and use a 3G connection it connects immediately. My current IP is a 51.9.x.x and the VPN I am trying to connect to is a 213.78.x.x IP.

Any suggestions?

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: VPN stopped working

Hi @RobChafer, sorry to hear you're experiencing issues connecting to a VPN while using the broadband connection we're providing.

If you're still experiencing problems with this now, could you drop me a PM with the name of the VPN client you're using and the business you're trying to connect to so I can discuss this with a colleague on our Networks team to look in this further.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
RobChafer
Dabbler

It magically started working again the next day!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Glad to hear that Rob, thanks for letting us know Thumbs_Up

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

It magically started working again the next day!

@RobChafer has your IP address changed by any chance ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@MisterW, not since the 19th. That's where my mind went with it straight away too.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Thanks @HarryB , I would have put money on it being an IP change that started it working again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobChafer
Dabbler

I was going to power off the router for half an hour to see if it changed the IP but in the end I didn't need to.

How often are IPs changed?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@RobChafer wrote:

How often are IPs changed?

Normally only if the connection is dropped, eg by restarting the router. Even then the "new" IP can be the same as the old one (or at best in the same range) if down time is short.

When an IP from a different range is desired it is usually recommended to try disconnecting for 65 minutes.

David