cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN not working

Mystified

VPN not working

I am trying to connect my work laptop which has a VPN on it. It establishes a connection but immediately drops out and block access to the internet. The cutosmer services team said they do not support VPN and were quite rude. They have also failed to respond to my request to speak to a manager. Can any one help with the VPN connection

10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: VPN not working

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Tech Help to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Mystified 

Thanks for getting in touch - I'm sorry that your manager call back hasn't taken place yet - I've chased this for you accordingly.

In terms of the VPN issue, I'm afraid the advice you've been given is correct - we can only guarantee connectivity via a direct connection to the BT Exchange using the IP address we allocate to you - any other software that sits in the middle of this may potentially affect connectivity and we're unable to support such software as we have no visibility or knowledge of how it interacts with our connection.

That being said, this community is full of incredible members who have a broad spectrum of experience and knowledge and I'm sure someone here will be able to point you in the right direction.

Best wishes

Dave

dvorak

Which VPN client is it?
Customer / Moderator
Mystified

I believe its CISCO Anyconnect

dvorak

I use that currently, haven't had any issues - I have a static IP address though.
You could try adding that for a one off cost of £5 and see if that helps.
Customer / Moderator
Mystified

No thank you, I have seen other threads on here where a static IP address was suggested but it didn't fix the problem so I don't want to waste my money. My router is 7 years old so I am hoping that may be the problem. I have ordered a new one so I will see if tha.t will fix the problem

dvorak

Hope it sorts it for you.
Customer / Moderator
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I had similar tales of woe when setting up my vpn. Turned out i needed two ports open on the router. Can't remember the exact details now but you might want to look into that.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

You shouldn't need any ports open to run a VPN client (i.e. outgoing connection), open ports should only be needed if you want to run a VPN server (i.e. for incoming connections).

I run both outgoing and incoming VPNs, using AnyConnect, OpenConnect and my router's builtin SSL VPN.  Plusnet don't block VPNs, but they don't offer support for them either.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Could this be a matter of the PC’s AV (software firewall) blocking the outbound connections?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.