Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN for selected locations only

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

VPN for selected locations only

Is there a free VPN service that I can configure to just be used for particular destinations whilst routing all other destinations normally? It would need to run beside the VPN I use to connect to the office and route traffic for ports for web pages and email.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
6 REPLIES 6
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: VPN for selected locations only

Hi,

does your office vpn allow? Just worth checking as some dont allow 'split tunnelling' with some traffic one way and other traffic down another network, largely as it creates a route into their network.

if they do good, makes easier.

for the particular destinations, do you know the IPs ? If so you could get the vpn (couldnt see mnay free ones) and make one of the von tunnels the default gateway and then add static routes with a lower cost to the specific ips you want down the 2nd vpn. 

Not tried it quite like that before so may need a bit of tweaking.

If you are using linux you may be able to do port based routung with iptables like http://superuser.com/questions/521837/iptables-port-based-routing old article so may need updating but may help too!

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I basically need to route 212.159.0.0/255.255.0.0 - all ports.

The VPN software I'm using for the office is Shrewsoft VPN client. It only routes specific subnets and everything else goes as normal via my router gateway.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

If it was something like PN blocking your IP from accessing their sites, would using the Firefox add-on HideMyAss be of any use to you? (it masks your IP and iirc you can tweak this IP to one of your choice - could be wrong on the latter as it's been a while since I needed to use this)

Possibly installing a new (clean) FF with the above installed so that if FF was your normal browser you can switch between both?

If not, I can't think of anything else that's freeSad

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

If on windows see https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb490991.aspx
You can try something like
route -p add 212.159.0.0 mask 0.0.255.255 vpnip metric 1
Where vpnip is the start of your vpn tunnel

That will route that subnet with a lower routing metric than the default route.

The only free VPN I know of though is get the latest version of opera, you can select several countries to connect via but on pc it only routes your web traffic not all ports, (iOS and android it routes all apps via the VPN when on)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've had a go both of these suggestions and got nowhere.

I don't want to use a proxy add-on as that would apply to all browsing. Using https://www.hidemyass.com/proxy looked good (that lets me see www.plus.net) but I couldn't access webmail which was one of the main aims.

Adding to the routing table Windows had to interfere and didn't use the metric I gave. Quote from the linked Microsoft page:

Large values in the metric column of the routing table are the result of allowing TCP/IP to automatically determine the metric for routes in the routing table based on the configuration of IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway for each LAN interface. Automatic determination of the interface metric, enabled by default, determines the speed of each interface and adjusts the metrics of routes for each interface so that the fastest interface creates the routes with the lowest metric. To remove the large metrics, disable the automatic determination of the interface metric from the advanced properties of the TCP/IP protocol for each LAN connection.

Trying to get round that is messing about far more than I want to.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

That's a shame Sad

My thoughts were if you had a 'normal' browser for the things you need it for and a 'hma' browser for the things you were blocked from getting to, then it would have done more than just open the main door but also opened the office door too.

(As hma can be turned on and off, you could view a page without going through hma yet another page could be viewed with it on - I know refreshing pages would be a ball ache due to the constant switching on and off Angry )