Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN and Plusnet fibre broadband

crypto_sloth
Rising Star

Re: VPN and Plusnet fibre broadband

@LukeAger

that makes sense. May I ask what area you work in ? 

LukeAger
Grafter

Information Security. I was an analyst for a defence contractor, then Head of Incident Response for a professional services company handling computer intrusions and now I mostly do paperwork for a large security consultancy.

Excel and PowerPoint are my world now Smiley
LukeAger
Grafter

Oh and I used to work for Plusnet in customer options too.
crypto_sloth
Rising Star

That sounds maybe more interesting than it was, idk. So if you had to choose a VPN which wd you choose? Just out of interest, and why? 

crypto_sloth
Rising Star

PlusNet customer options.....smh 😂😂jk jk

LukeAger
Grafter

Honestly... I actually vpn into my house more than tunnelling out. I have a OpenVPN server and client certificates in my phones and laptops so I actually route most things through plusnet when I'm on the move. That's mostly used if I connect to public wifi or I'm abroad.

If I was really concerned about privacy I wouldn't use any company for a VPN, I'd pay for a VPS server somewhere off shore with good privacy laws and host a OpenVPN or similar service on that VPS box.

That way you own the actual VPN server. You can purge any logs as often as you like and so long as you choose the right country you won't have to worry about jurisdiction although you will then face latency issues.

VPS servers can be pretty cheap too.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@crypto_sloth wrote:

@30FTTC06 I think given the name NordVPN indicates it originates out of Scandinavia which, along with the Swiss have some of the best online privacy rules.site.

Final words; RESEARCH, RESEARCH, DECIDE, BUY, ENJOY. 

Actually they are based in Panama. Guess you forgot to research, research too Wink

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@SpendLessTime wrote:

@crypto_sloth wrote:

@30FTTC06 I think given the name NordVPN indicates it originates out of Scandinavia which, along with the Swiss have some of the best online privacy rules.site.

Final words; RESEARCH, RESEARCH, DECIDE, BUY, ENJOY. 

Actually they are based in Panama. Guess you forgot to research, research too Wink

Based in Panama sounds further out of reach of the UK's jurisdiction but I take my hat off to you for pointing it out.

Lol Cheesy