cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Citrix issue

shirleyquarmby

VPN Citrix issue

Hello. I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I have seen the other threads in this forum on similar issues but they didn't seem to be exactly the same as my issue:

I am using a work laptop to log in remotely from home and up until now have never had any remote log in issues. I have however recently started a new job and the company infrastructure uses Citrix. I have a Netgear router.

I am able to log into the VPN with no problem at all. I am then required to log on to the Citrix receiver. Sometimes I am able to but other times this fails and I have to reset the receiver.

Once I am logged onto the receiver I then try and launch my Citrix applications e.g. Word, Lotus Notes, etc but this always fails. I get a message 'Unable to launch application. Your network connection is unavailable'.

I have tested the remote login in the office using the office wifi and it all works perfectly. I am therefore left thinking the issue is with my router or Plusnet.

Can anyone help?

Thanks very much.
6 REPLIES 6
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: VPN Citrix issue

I don't know whether this would help but you could try manually setting the laptop's IP and DNS servers when at home (if you are allowed administrator access).

Although the advice is not specifically for this problem the Third Party Connection Issues guide posted in Service Status gives instructions.

David
shirleyquarmby

Thanks very much for your reply. I've checked with my IT support & we aren't allowed to do that unfortunately. Thanks anyway!
LukeAger
Grafter

I suspect this is not an issue with your home connection. Once you are inside the VPN, it kinda doesn't matter what your local set up is. Have you tried from other wifi connections other than work and home. See if you can replicate the issue on another network. (Try tethering from your mobile phone) 
If the issue persists, I would be inclined to point to the citrix deployment at work as the issue. 

shirleyquarmby

Thank you for your reply.

I haven't been able to replicate the issue anywhere else despite trying different wifi connections, e.g. wifi in the office, Vodafone mobile wifi device. These haven't recreated the issue. I haven't tried tethering my phone which I could try.
LukeAger
Grafter

Who set up the VNP, do you know if its tunnelling all traffic through the VPN or if it's using a split tunnel?

Also, most citrix access points do not require you to be on the VPN, they require two factor log on through the browser. Are you sure you cannot access it without using the VPN? both are possible set ups. 

shirleyquarmby

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked with my IT support at work and they've said that the VPN is required as that's the way its been set up. A secure logon via the VPN is the only way to access Citrix.

Everyone else in the organisation doesn't appear to have the same issue as me but they are all with different broadband providers.

I did try the port forward suggestion given to me by Plusnet Support but I didn't manage to successfully open the port itself (I don't know what I was doing wrong) so never got to test whether this would resolve the issue. Do you think it's worth pursuing this option? If so I'll see if I can find a techy friend to help me.

So grateful for your help.

Thanks