Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP Providers

JamesCRocks
Grafter

VOIP Providers

Hi,

We're upgrading to full fibre early April and the suggestion is that I can get a VOIP deal (independent of Plusnet) including a couple of VOIP phones and my old number transferred but I'm coming up blank, they're either American or business oriented and way too expensive. 

Does anyone have any suggestions who I can go to, to get a reasonable deal? 

Thanks

James

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: VOIP Providers

Try Andrews & Arnold VoIP  - £1.44 per month per number, and reasonable call charges.

They may look business oriented, but home accounts are welcomed - they are very knowledgeable and professional, and UK based.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I'll second that

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@JamesCRocks 

If you are upgrading from a PN account then there is no guarentee - at this time - of being able to transfer your number.

Brian

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

The way to keep your number is to order FTTP as an additional service, and once that is in place order VoIP which will transfer your number away and trigger the closure of your Plusnet phone line and FTTC.  It does mean a month overlap where you pay for both services.

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

From April, the OFCOM "rules" say that ISPs need to offer customers ordering fibre the facility to keep their phone number available for 31 days (from order date or from fibre upgrade date is not clear) so that they can port it to another provider. How this will work with Plusnet is as yet unknown as Plusnet have not said anything as yet but it should prevent the automatic loss of your telephone number when upgrading to full fibre.  It will possibly only apply to orders placed after the rule is introduced in early April and not to order placed before then.

Otherwise, as @corringham says, the safe route is to order fibre as a new service and take it from there.

JamesCRocks
Grafter

From April, the OFCOM "rules" say that ISPs need to offer customers ordering fibre the

> facility to keep their phone number available for 31 days

Thanks

I'm going over 3rd April. I wonder if that applies to me and is it automatic. 

James

JamesCRocks
Grafter

> Try Andrews & Arnold VoIP  - £1.44 per month per number, and reasonable call charges.

Thanks, I will Smiley

James

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

The OFCOM rules seem to suggest that the customer has to specifically ask for the facility and so I suspect that you will not be covered by this provision.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@JamesCRocks 

The unknown is will PN systems be able to handle this. Until recently you lost your number if you upgraded. To many people this doesn't matter but for those where it does they either sign up as a new customers (losing e-mail and other current add ons) or change ISP.

The PN DSL products work on the phone number - losing this tends to upset the system and can / does "lose" the number. There has been no official word from PN on the OFCOM mandate re number porting.

Brian

S65v10
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@JamesCRocks 

did you manage to move over successfully? 

I am in the same boat now looking for a VOIP

JamesCRocks
Grafter

@S65v10 wrote:

@JamesCRocks 

did you manage to move over successfully? 

I am in the same boat now looking for a VOIP

I did, I confirmed all was OK in this thread:

Re: Gigaset N300IP & AA (Andrews & Arnold) VoIP Se... - Plusnet Community

Smiley

J