cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an alternative DNS provider

Oliver1
Dabbler

Using an alternative DNS provider

I'm currently dealing with a mess of services from different sources. I'd like to use my registrar's DNS service instead of Plusnet, but recreate the same settings as now including the MX record for Plusnet email. This would be a step on the way to disentangling things.

Will that work?

I wouldn't need a full "transfer out" process as the domain is ".com", so I should be able to change the DNS server entries from the registrar's portal.

I don't want to find that some automatic "clean up" service detects that the DNS no longer points to Plusnet and removes it from "My domain names" and stops processing email. From memory a transferred out domain stays on the system until manually cleaned up, but I'd like to be certain.

5 REPLIES 5
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Using an alternative DNS provider

Hi @Oliver1

Thanks for getting in touch.

You can specify the DNS setup for your domain by following the below steps:

Log into the Member Centre -> Click "Manage My Account" -> Select "Domain name", Select "Manage your domains" -> Select "Configure"

Under domain hosting settings, select Other (I wish to specify DNS records for hosts under this domain).

Best wishes

Dave

Oliver1
Dabbler

I actually want to use their DNS servers instead of Plusnet's.

I'm going to need to migrate the services eventially anyway as right now Plusnet are only really providing our Email and DNS, and I'm looking to close the account eventually.

I'm currently on the lookout for an IMAP email provider that has sane pricing for an own domain+multi-mailbox setup.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I actually want to use their DNS servers instead of Plusnet's.

I believe that the Nameservers MUST be set to the PN ones for email to be provided. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Oliver1 

Really sorry to hear this. 

I'm afraid that, save from the info provided above, there is little more assistance we can offer on this case. 

If we can help in other matter then please do get bakc in touch. 

Thanks, 

MoR

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@Oliver1 

I'm currently on the lookout for an IMAP email provider that has sane pricing for an own domain+multi-mailbox setup.

You might have a look at https://ecohosting.co.uk/email.html . I don't know what they're like for support etc but their pricing seems sensible. I'm currently in the process of registering (elsewhere) my .uk domain to go with the .org.uk one I currently have hosted with PN. I was looking at trying Ecohosting for email with the new domain

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.