cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Joomla

savsail

Using Joomla

I want to build a website on my Plus.Net account using Joomla CMS. I can't find the Joomla install on the control panel. Can you help please?
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Using Joomla

What you put in your Plusnet webspace is up to you, and it is your responsibility to install it using packages you download yourself from the respective developer's website. A package such as Joomla would have to go on ccgi space because it needs PHP and MySQL.
However Joomla 2.5.x requires MySQL version 5.0.4+ whereas that on ccgi is still 4.1.11, so the minimum requirements are not met. Sad
David
savsail

Using Joomla

Looks like Joomla is not an option. What do you suggest I use?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Most, if not all, packages these days require MySQL 5.x so the options are potentially non-existent.
Using a special hack to change the MySQL version requirement to '4.1+' it is possible to install WordPress 3.5.1; I know the distributed release works, though it's possible optional plugins (particularly different themes) might not do.
The hack is built into the 'update' script published in Reply #21 on the Wordpress 3.2 and higher topic. Although that script was published as an 'update' script* it will also do a fresh install. In the latter case, after using the script to load the files it is necessary to run the set-up script. See Installing WordPress on the WordPress website.
* Note: the built-in updater will fail, it is necessary to use this script for updates.
Release of WordPress 3.6 is imminent, I don't know if that will work with MySQL 4.1.
David
doktorsteve

Why are you even suggesting using CGI? It does not work.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115341.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)