cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used to have a fixed IP anyone got experience of Dynamic DNS?

Doglet
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Used to have a fixed IP anyone got experience of Dynamic DNS?

With my last ISP I had a fixed IP address and paid 1and1 to point domains at it.
Me and 1and1 fell out after they sent debt collectors to chase up expired credit card details so I want to sack them off.
I see the Plusnet Hub One router supports Dynamic DNS. As far as I'm aware it means I can point DNS names at a dynamic (changing) IP address.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using this and could recommend a service? I've not seen any hosting .co.uk domains unfortunately.  Undecided
Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Used to have a fixed IP anyone got experience of Dynamic DNS?

You can, via the Member Centre, order yourself a static IP at a one off cost of £5. However, a colleague of mine uses dyndns.org for his DDNS on TalkTalk fibre and has done for many years and to date it's not let him down.
summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I use no-ip.biz and its be fine, worked without any problems.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I use afraid.org:
http://freedns.afraid.org
It's free but your domain can be used by anyone for sub domains unless you subscribe to a paid package.
I've used them for years and been quite happy with it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kabads
Grafter

I paid the £5 for static and haven't looked back. It does mean you have to be a little more vigilant with any services you run with an open external port, but it's worth the hassle from my point of view. 
NedLudd
Grafter

I've had the £5 one from PN for more than 3 years now and never had a problem. When DynDNs upped it's subs from £15 I kicked them into touch and went with PN!  Cool
Geoff,
York.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I've used a few. Currently relying on the free no-ip offering. You need to click a link in a reminder email every 30 days or so, but other than that, it's been flawless.
I create a CNAME DNS record to point a sub domain of mine to the DDNS hostname. That way I can use eg. home.mydomain.co.uk to access my services, instead of the free hostname I'm assigned by no-ip.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

HeuristicToaste

I've been using ClouDNS to manage my dynamic IP and so far I prefer it to my previous solution of FreeDNS and ill-advised CNAME records.
I don't know if you can do it through the router, but anything that's similar to task scheduler / cron that can run cURL or Wget can update the IP periodically via their API.
Up to three domains (each with unlimited records) is free, then £3.50/mo get's you a configurable TTL (compared to free which is 1hr) and a bunch of extra stuff like email forwarding, analytics and 14 (speedier) DNS servers
Link to their comparison page: https://www.cloudns.net/premium/
Of course, a static IP is a one-off so it's probably your best bet Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Out of curiosity, why do you consider CNAME records ill-advised?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

HeuristicToaste

Quote from: Bob
Out of curiosity, why do you consider CNAME records ill-advised?

I realise my original post was a little ambiguous, so to add clarification:
My previous solution was to use FreeDNS (i.e. mysubdomain.freedns.afraid.org pointed to my dynamic IP), then add a CNAME record as the root record for my site, which pointed to mysubdomain.freedns.afraid.org. In addition to that CNAME record, I also had MX records and other, different, CNAME records for subdomains, which AFAIK goes against some web standards (even though it does work okay in practice).
I suppose it's one of those things I've never really questioned, like when a chemistry teacher tells you not to smell ammonia or something. Not a clue what will happen - maybe nothing, probably something bad - but you tend to follow the advice. In my case, Gandi wouldn't allow CNAME records as the root record of a domain, stating simply that it goes against DNS standards. Since then I've stopped using them like that, even though some DNS providers let you.
Googling it shows that it is in accordance with RFC 1034 (https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1034.txt), in particular section 3.6.2:
Quote from: RFC
If a CNAME RR is present at a node, no other data should be
present; this ensures that the data for a canonical name and its aliases
cannot be different.  This rule also insures that a cached CNAME can be
used without checking with an authoritative server for other RR types.

Which doesn't actually state that A records must be the root record, or that CNAME records cannot be the root record, but that if a CNAME record is the root record then no other records can be present (I think).
Finding this out was actually what caused me to start using the free version of ClouDNS, as Gandi didn't have an API for updating a dynamic IP like some providers do
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah, but the example I used home.mydomain.co.uk is a subdomain, and in the instance I'm using it, it's the only record that exists for it. Fair point on the advise where root domains are concerned though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

HeuristicToaste

Oh, sure! I didn't really pay too much attention to the context of my reply (or proof read it ref. the CNAME comment) and wasn't specifically referring to your example, instead meaning my own (old) use case was ill-advised. By contrast, yours is a perfectly sound recommendation Smiley