cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage Allowance - Upgrade Query - Can Anyone Advise ?

John2018

Usage Allowance - Upgrade Query - Can Anyone Advise ?

Hi all,

At the moment I'm using Plusnet Value Fibre which gives me 40 GB user allowance which isn't quite enough so I'm thinking of upgrading to the Unlimited usage allowance.

When I've looked at the unlimited usage allowance option, I'm asked if I want to upgrade my router in order to support the full speed of the new fibre service, is this necessary or will my present router do the job ? ... it's the one that was supplied to me by plusnet when I first joined.

My present speed is around 25Mb which has been sufficient for my needs ... the upgrade will guarantee me 35Mb which would be great but it's not essential.

Will my present router still work ok with the new faster service but at a lower speed than the guaranteed 35Mb ?

My main concern is the unlimited usage allowance, I don't want to get involved with changing any hardware if I can get away with it ... the truth is that I'm useless with gadgets and wires and hate having to get involved with any new hardware in case I [-Censored-] things up ! LOL

Anyway, thanks for listening to me.

John.

2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Usage Allowance - Upgrade Query - Can Anyone Advise ?

Welcome to the Community forums. Hopefully you'll feel able to join in more of the discussions despite your aversion to technology Smiley

Regarding upgrading, I'd expect your existing router to work fine, no need to change it. In fact should you choose to do so I suspect it is likely to make no difference to your speeds. All that changes is that the bill doesn't increase beyond the product cost if you exceed a usage threshold. I think the router description you've been given might reflect more on WiFi performance than line speed. If you don't take a new router now you could still do so later.

Did you use the website Product Upgrade path to investigate options? If so and your phone is also with Plusnet you might find it beneficial to give the Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 and see what offers are available. Select "thinking of leaving" if alternative options aren't appropriate.

David
John2018

Re: Usage Allowance - Upgrade Query - Can Anyone Advise ?

Thanks for your reply David, it's much appreciated.

Yes I did use the website Product Upgrade path to investigate options, thanks for the phone tip, I'll keep that in mind.

Regards

John