cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading website using FileZilla

matradish

Uploading website using FileZilla

I have a problem that has just started using FileZilla and my plusnet broadband.
Previously I could upload 3 different website (using different hosting companies) without problem using my plusnet broadband at home.
All of a sudden it has stopped working. I can get it to upload using FileZilla if I use the BT broadband at work, but whenever I try it from home it just fails to connecft to the server.
Just wondered if anyone had any similar problems or any suggestions ? I've tried changing transfer mode to both active and passive but no joy.
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Uploading website using FileZilla

Just used FileZilla to connect to my webspace at 123-reg, no problems (nor to Plusnet webspace). This is using FileZilla 3.5.3 on Vista Home Premium in passive mode (the mode normally used).
Apart from the obvious username and/or password error failure to connect to the server might be a firewall problem. Has your home computer firewall been updated recently? Also Plusnet firewall not blocking the FTP port? But even that should be OK in passive mode.
David
David
whelpton
Grafter

Does filezilla give you any errors when you try and connect?
You can try to ftp into your site using command prompt, which should help you figure out if its a firewall issue.
start -> all programs -> accessories -> command prompt
When this loads up, type "FTP your website address"
If your computer can access the ftp server, you should see a prompt asking you for your username and password like the screenshot below

x47c
Grafter

I've previously had problems - but only for short periods.
The error message was "only 4 sessions allowed to be open at once" or words to that effect.
The system/filezilla would log me in ok
but after that the remote directory would not list and I could not transfer any files
loging out and back in made no difference
Went away after a bit............so I'm none the wiser
I did think of raising it on here but I assumed it was some short term issue with the FTP server so didn't bother.
Edit
I remember on one occassion I was transferring some files and after doing one it suddenly decided to give the error message of  "max 4 sessions...etc" on the next file - and refused to to any more.  So something was changing mid session rather than being blocked from the start at logon stage.
mentalist3d
Grafter

I could be completely wrong but it sounds like it is your server blocking your FTP access. The reason I reckon it is that, is because the webhost I was with kept blocking me from uploading files based on too many active sessions. I was using CuteFTP and for every file it was uploading, it appeared on the server as a new session per file, rather than the same session. I contacted my web host and they told me that their server detects multiple sessions and blocks too many in case it is an attempt to compromise the server.
I would maybe give another FTP program a try to see if that resolves your issue and if you have access to your server log, check for any errors or if you are being blocked after so many connections.
x47c
Grafter

I'll try another FTP program when/if I next get the problem.
I'm not running any server though, this was Filezilla running on a standalone PC running WinXP Home and directly connected to the Dlink router/modem unit