cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading a Joomla site

csq

Uploading a Joomla site

Hi hope someone can help - Plusnet support so far unable to.
I have a domain hosted with plusnet - say, mydomain.co.uk
I have a website created with Joomla that I wish to upload. I've backed it up using Joomla extension akeeba backup, which creates an archive file; there is a supplied php file, kickstart,php, which restores the archive and also tries to contact mysql to import the database (that is required with a Joomla site). It works fine on my servers, I've even tested it with the same (old) versions of php and MySql that are running on Plusnet, but how do I upload it?
I have ftp'd all the stuff up that I need to mydomain.co.uk
It appears that, bizarrely, php does not work on a Plusnet domain like mydomain.co.uk (type mydomain.co.uk/kickstart.php and it tries to download it).
I was told to access http:/ccgi.myaccount.plusnet.com but I get a 403 forbidden (CGI is active and was activated some time ago). Even if we get round that problem, my site is in the webspace, not cgi.
It's also extremely irritating that I can only access phpmyadmin from a Plusnet IP address, (yet I can blast the site to bits from any IP address using FTP!!!) but that's another issue.
Can anyone help?
1 REPLY 1
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Uploading a Joomla site

Quote from: csq
It appears that, bizarrely, php does not work on a Plusnet domain like mydomain.co.uk (type mydomain.co.uk/kickstart.php and it tries to download it).

PHP does not run on the Homepages server which I assume is where your domain records point. The behaviour you experienced is that expected for files on that server. To use PHP on a domain the domain records need to point to the CGI server. Plusnet Help & Support pages or the UserTools tutorial Setting up Domain Records give guidance on the domain records you need to create and the request (ticket) you need to raise to Plusnet.
I was told to access http:/ccgi.myaccount.plusnet.com but I get a 403 forbidden (CGI is active and was activated some time ago).

That will probably be because you don't have an index.htm or index.php file in your CGI root directory (or file permissions are incorrectly set).
Even if we get round that problem, my site is in the webspace, not cgi.

… but it wouldn't be if you upload it to your CGI space as you need to do.
It's also extremely irritating that I can only access phpmyadmin from a Plusnet IP address, (yet I can blast the site to bits from any IP address using FTP!!!) but that's another issue.

phpMyAdmin runs on CGI. Once your site is on CGI you will be able to FTP to it only on a Plusnet connection.
Having got through these stages are you familiar with the requirements set out in the CGI Platform PHP Upgrade FAQ?
David