cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading PHP remotely

mstier

Uploading PHP remotely

I cannot believe the only way to upload PHP content is via my home (plusnet) network? What do I do if I'm on holiday, and I need to make an ugent change to my code? Is there another way of doing this?
Cheers
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Uploading PHP remotely

Yes - you need to leave your PC on all the time and set up remote access to your PC.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Not sure how effective it would be but you could install a file manager solution like this on your CGI space?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I wonder if that would lead to ownership/permissions problems?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I installed a copy on my webspace a while back. I'd check if I could remember what I set my passwords to! Roll_eyes

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Tony_W
Grafter

What I used to do was to just have the ccgi file contain an include statement in an otherwise nearly blank PHP page:
<?php
include('http://www.username.f9.co.uk/afile.php');
?>

I used that include statement to include the contents of a specific file from my homepages server space, which contained all of the PHP that I really wanted in the ccgi server file.
Then I was able to edit and upload the homepages PHP code file, which was then included and processed when the ccgi file program was run.
Being able to do an include from a different server was one of the things that got thrown out with the bathwater when the new ccgi system was installed - so I can't do that now - unless anyone knows of a switch which will make it available again...
Tony
Gabe
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
you could install a file manager solution like this on your CGI space?

I haven't tested this particular variant but the phrases "google hack", "coach and horses" and "barge pole" spring to mind.  Wink
Gabe
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Lips_are_sealed

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Ben_Brown
Grafter

Quote from: Tony
Being able to do an include from a different server was one of the things that got thrown out with the bathwater when the new ccgi system was installed - so I can't do that now - unless anyone knows of a switch which will make it available again...

This wasn't "thrown out with the bathwater" - we made a concious decision to not allow this access. Remote includes are disabled by default since PHP 5.2.0, and sloppy use of include was the cause of the vast majority of PHP related security issues we saw on the old platform.
I can understand that this change was inconvenient for some people but we really couldn't justify allowing remote includes as they are so easily exploitable.