Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade of Broadband

FIXED
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Upgrade of Broadband

@frankdouglas 

I think that your perfectly reasonable question posted on the Everything Else board has got a response from many as the sort of discussion much more appropriately posted on the Chat board.

On this board you will find many such threads, such as why pay for Windows when you can use Linux for free etc.

If this was the chat board discussing the topic: “Should I upgrade to FTTP” then these days my thought processes go along the lines:

Do I want it Yes/No.

Can I justify it to myself?  Yes/No

Can I afford it? Yes/No

If three Yes’ then go ahead.

I don’t care whether others think the expense can be justified, it takes all sorts.

Do not give up on this forum from this poor experience. If you have a problem in the future you will hopefully get a much more positive response.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Baldrick1  The O.P. originally posted this on General Chat.... and as such was responded to, in a helpful, rather than a negative way, as perceived by the O.P.

As the O.P. has indicated that he will not be returning to the forum... then... unfortunately,.. your repetition of the questions I posed,  (to which he took umbrage! ). and your suggestion that he should not give up on this forum due to the "poor experience", is a tad too late.

Personally, if he sees responses to his question as "negative"... and a "poor experience"   I fail to see what help we (collectively) can offer to him.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@shutter wrote:

First question to ask........  Do I really NEED to have a faster Broadband speed ?  

Second question.... what actual difference would it make to what you are currently doing with your Broadband traffic... e.g...   surfing shopping... or   surfing shopping and gaming, and streaming. 

Third question....   where would you "actually notice" if the broadband speed was an issue.... or not.... ?  

on the other hand....... "Better the devil you know..... rather than an "unknown" devil promising something unknown...

What a strange answer - a set of unhelpful questions!

For anyone who works from home a faster connection essential. I no longer use Plusnet as they can't offer anything better than ADSL, and it is just unusable for home working.

Even if speed isn't a problem, the OP indicates that the 400Mbps KCOM offering is the same price as Plusnet's 60Mbps - so is better value. 

As for the "devil you know" argument - I've never heard anything so daft!

KCOM are offering FTTP which is generally regarded as more reliable than FTTC. And we know Plusnet are dragging their feet with FTTP, IPv6, and recently have very little support available.

shutter
Community Veteran

@corringham  Absolutely nothing wrong with asking those questions to the O.P...  ( If you view them as Unhelpful, then you obviously know the O.P. intimately, whereas I do not.)  As explained, (do I really need to justify myself )  in a later response to the o.p`s. suggestion that the questions were "a negative response.  They were , and are, reasonable questions to anyone, who is considering upgrading their broadband speed.

As a matter of interest.... your post is no more helpful to the O.P. than any other response, it would seem, as he has stated that he will ignore the thread.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

My post wasn't intended to be useful to the OP. I was hoping that it might help avoid putting future OPs off in the same way.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Come on people!

The OP asked a perfectly simple question: KCom were installing FTTP in the area and would it be available soon from Plusnet?

This resulted in a string of responses discussing whether fibre could be justified and odd car analogies. Whilst the OP originally posted on the Chat board, the wrong place to pose a serious question where such such responses are par for the course, once the post was transferred to Everything else this became inappropriate.. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Come on people!

The OP asked a perfectly simple question:

Me too..... but he took umbrage ..... Undecided

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@shutter  When someone asks a question it seems reasonable that they would expect an answer to that question and as @corringham says, you gave a set of negative unhelpful questions in response. Maybe you don't see the need for higher broadband speeds but a lot of people do so you should accept that.

I am not surprised that the OP decided to withdraw from the discussion because of the extremely hostile replies from you and other posters.☹️

shutter
Community Veteran

@RealAleMadrid  You are entitled to your opinion.... however, my questions were not "unhelpful" or "negative"  as you put it,... they were put into the thread, as a genuine quest to the O.P. .... not to be responded to directly, but for the O.P. to question his reasoning, regarding his actual " need for speed".... 

As the O.P. pointed out in one of his responses.. he considers he is quite capable of answering those questions himself, without the need for me or anyone else to ask those questions. 

Not knowing, from the O.P. initial post, whether he had considered the points I was making, prior to his post,  they were valid questions, as a response to his query.... and in no way can they be construed as "unhelpful" or "negative".

I stand by my response, and will not apologise for it, regardless of any further comments on it.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@shutter They weren't valid questions and were negative and unhelpful and why should you or anyone else be questioning his reasoning, who do you think you are, perhaps the leader of the Spanish Inquisition?😀

I don't expect you to apologise, you are a somewhat awkward individual who believes he is always absolutely right and if you question my reasoning I don't really care.🙂

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

As this thread has been marked fixed and is going nowhere fast I have locked it.

Please keep petty squabbles to the playground!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still