cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Hosting platform

glyndev
Grafter

Updating Hosting platform

I have just received the +net newsletter which reffers to their plans for 08/09 in which they state that they will be "upgrading or retiring some of our old web-servers and services." does this mean that we will be getting an upgrade to PHP5 or are we still going to have to endure the outdated and unsupported PHP4?.
For an ISP that is continually winning awards for service etc. to have their customers endure this outdated software while other inferior ISP's offer the latest versions of the same software is ridiculous.
3 REPLIES 3
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Re: Updating Hosting platform

Hi Devonports,
I think it's been posted before but looking at our "Hosting Service" as a whole is something that has been on the back burner for a long time.  We're well aware that it isn't up to the expectations of many people, so that is why it made the list.
How we go about it is another debate entirely, but you should be encouraged that now its got some official spotlight it's much more likely to end up as something you will be interested in.
I think the bottom line is that most of the popular ISPs don't even offer PHP, and we haven't given enough love to the hosting side of things for quite some time, so putting something new in place that will last us a decent length of time (and not fall into obsolescence) is quite a mammoth task, but one we are keen to work on.
Gricey.
oliverb
Grafter

Would this be a big change-over or a gradual thing? Seems to me that with cgi services the ideal solution would be to run two platforms in parallel. Didn't you do this last time?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Yes they did and is the most likely way any new system will be made available.