Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unannounced change to website hosting policies

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Unannounced change to website hosting policies

Warning: It appears that the consequences of going over your hosting limits have been drastically changed for the worse. I've just seen the following on Usenet:
[quote=plusnet.service.customer-feedback]I've just gone to check my website and it's gone. There's a message to say I've 'exceeded my limit' so I can only imagine that uploading a file that was too big for email, and it's subsequent download by the friend it was for, has taken me over the limit. I wasn't aware that there was any limit: there was no emailed warning. Nothing.
Customer Services have told me that the site will remain inaccessible until the start of my next billing period, which is the 30th of this month, and that they can do nothing to reinstate it before then. Is that correct? Is there really no way to get it back? It seems harsh for an innocent mistake.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Unannounced change to website hosting policies

Jelv, as per your reply in Usenet you know this hasn't changed. I'll go and reply in there to get the detail needed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I had this happen to me, had to apologize and promise to be good, got it back in a few hours, deleted the large temporary file and now OK
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

This will be the second time this morning that Mand's educating tool has been needed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nehoc
Dabbler

As my first site has just gone live on Plus, sort of, can someone tell me what the limits are? Or is it just part of my personal 10Gb upload/download limit?
Cheers, Colin
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

which product are you on and is it the free one included in it
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As my first site has just gone live on Plus, sort of, can someone tell me what the limits are? Or is it just part of my personal 10Gb upload/download limit?

On your account with Plusnet you get 250Mb of data allowed to be transferred per day on your website.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
nehoc
Dabbler

Thanks Chris,
I did look on your site, and even Googled it with the rider 'site:plus.net' but could not locate it.
Cheers, Colin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

On your account with Plusnet you get 250Mb of data allowed to be transferred per day on your website.

I thought that was the total size of the Web site
Please ensure the first page of your site is index.html or index.htm (case sensitive).
Webspace Usage
Webspace Allocation 250
Webspace Used 61MB 24.4%
Webspace Free 189MB 75.6%
nehoc
Dabbler

Now I am confused...
Is Chris' statement that I get 250Mb a day not correct?
Tho' www.MissingPortraits.info [do visit it!] is fairly full of images it is only 2.9Mb and I guess it would have to become very popular before I broke 250Mb transfer per day.
Cheers, Colin
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It is correct.
Where Pierre is getting confused is that the total size limit is also 250MB
nehoc
Dabbler

Thanks for the clarification.
As I say - do visit  www.MissingPortraits.info and help me break my usage limit!
Cheers, Colin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Ah yes we did have one of our regulars about a year ago had an Airbus photo, and it got to the top of the Google search list, it broke his bank, it confusing, its not your data, its other people looking at your site
nehoc
Dabbler

Interesting, your reply has prompted me to look at my site folder. All but one of the images are the same size [Photoshopped before importing into Freeway], but I must have slipped up as some are jpgs and some gifs and I had not noticed this before. The file sizes thus vary from 12 to 160Kb and I'd better deal with it sometime. Anyway, tho www.MissingPortraits.info is quite academic it is aimed at family historians and there are a lot of them so I'd better cut those files sizes down ...
Cheers, C