cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access wp-admin after upgrade to WordPress 3.0

mkingscott

Unable to access wp-admin after upgrade to WordPress 3.0

Hi there,
I hope someone can help me here: after finally sorting out my botched WordPress 3.0 install (back-ups are great), I'm now unable to log in to wp-admin; it wants to redirect me to wp-admin/kingscott//blahblahblah
Fortunately, my site is still up so my three readers won't be disappointed, but it's odd I can't get in - any suggestions? I have all my PHP files (all as in all, in wp-admin, wp-content, etc.) set to 755, is the redirect to my username's folder related to folder permissions?
Thanks for any advice,
Mike K.
9 REPLIES 9
Gabe
Grafter

Re: Unable to access wp-admin after upgrade to WordPress 3.0

Not sure, but you could try the script linked from the faq.
Gabe
Rarebit

I have Error Not found - 404 after installing Wordpress and trying to launch the programme. Have changed all permissions as in Gabe's doc.
"URL requested (/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php) not found"
Any ideas?
mkingscott

@Gabe,
Hello, thanks for the reply. I read the FAQ and also adjusted my folder permissions, but I'm not sure which script you mean in the FAQ?
Also, it appears my forms are working (no POST problems) as I can leave comments on my blog posts...
Thank you,
Mike K.
Gabe
Grafter

There's a script in the link from section 6 that will set scripts to 700 and folders to 710. Where the Wordpress instructions advise 777 for content folders, you'd set that manually to 750 instead.
If that's not the answer, it could be an upload glitch. Was this a fresh install rather than an upgrade?
Gabe
mkingscott

Hello Gabe,
It was an upgrade, but I botched it by removing the wp-content folder. I realised my mistake and copied it back, but things are a bit borked still. I will try the script, look at what folders need 777 access and set that to 750 as suggested, and see where I get to.
It's odd that the wp-admin logon is redirecting me back to a URL my user name appended to it...
Thank you,
Mike K.
mkingscott

Grrr, I ran the script, it did the updates, but stll no luck trying to log in...
Mike K.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Is the URL with your username included really that, or is there a tilde (~) character in front of it?
David
mkingscott

It appears that it is a tilde, the URL is:
http://www.mkingscott.co.uk/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mkingscott.co.uk%2F%7Ekingscot...
and I believe the %7E is the tilde...
What's the thought? Wink
Thank you,
Mike K.
Gabe
Grafter

The /~username is prepended to urls so that suEXEC can validate the request. It shouldn't get returned to the browser, but it can be for a number of reasons, like when you miss off a trailing /.
Just to check, what happens if you delete everything from the ? onwards, so you're just left with http://www.mkingscott.co.uk/wp-login.php (or follow this link), then delete any cookies you have from that site, then refresh the page, then enter your login details?
Gabe