Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access WMO website

FIXED
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Unable to access WMO website

In happier times, staff on here would allow temporary access to a static IP free of charge, and they may well do so again if one sees your posts. However they seem to be at least 2-4 days behind posts at the moment.

That said, its probably the best £5 you can spend on PN 😉

Glad you are sorted though.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@PaulBramley wrote:

Doesn't seem right I've had to pay £5 to achieve this...

I've applied a £5 credit to your account Smiley

... so I hope someone at PlusNET can look into fixing this properly.

I'm not really of the opinion that it's our problem to fix. The traceroutes from you and @Townman clearly show the traffic reaching the destination, there's just something at the remote side that's choosing not to accept connection requests from your old IP. That control sits entirely within the website administrator's domain.

An IP range registered to Infonet is not in itself a problem as long as it's geo-located correctly in the UK, which in most cases our ranges should be.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@bobpullen 

The point I sought to make was that there was nothing wrong with the tracert, in that mine also failed to reach the end point, whilst I (with a fixed IP address) did not have an issue reaching the site.

The fact that the OP having obtained a fixed IP address, does somewhat confirm that this a geo-location issue … albeit the address range is believed to be correctly located.  We have though seen far too many organisations using stale geo-location data!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PaulBramley
Dabbler

@bobpullen wrote:

I've applied a £5 credit to your account Smiley

Thank you.

@bobpullen wrote:

I'm not really of the opinion that it's our problem to fix. The traceroutes from you and @Townman clearly show the traffic reaching the destination, there's just something at the remote side that's choosing not to accept connection requests from your old IP. That control sits entirely within the website administrator's domain.

An IP range registered to Infonet is not in itself a problem as long as it's geo-located correctly in the UK, which in most cases our ranges should be.

Understood. Obviously there are far more urgent issues in the world at the moment but it does seem odd though that a large organisation like the WMO could use out-of-date routing information.

Thanks again for your help.