cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to FTP into webspace

Velkro

Unable to FTP into webspace

Have not used my web space for some time and am keen to start a fresh and make a new site for my self (my old site is still currently up and working). I tried, as I used to, to connect with filezilla but keep getting a username and/or password error.
Response: 530 Login incorrect.
Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server
Looking at the member centre I have standard web space now as I never used the cgi at that time. I have tried to follow the instructions and I encounter the same problem. I thought raise a ticket...it appears that service no longer exists (or at least I can't find it) then I thought phone but hey what do ya know no more 24 7 support. Big changes since I last had to ask for help!!
6 REPLIES 6
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Unable to FTP into webspace

Your standard webspace seems to be working fine:
C:\Windows\System32>ftp ftp.plus.net
Connected to ftp.plus.net.
220-PLEASE NOTE: If you have a non-subscription account you
220-will only be able to login to this ftp server if you are
220-dialled into our network.
220-
220-A Maximum of 4 concurrent connections are allowed to this
220-server, each session is limited to 256KB/s downloads.
220-
220 Plus.Net FTP Server #1 ready
User (ftp.plus.net:(none)): [REDACTED]
331 Password required for  [REDACTED]
Password:
230 User  [REDACTED] logged in

If you haven't used the CGI platform following migration over a year ago, then the service will have been removed. See the 'What will happen after the migration?' section of the FAQ here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Velkro

yes is working now.
Phoned in for support, took almost 40 mins to get the support person to understand what I was trying to do. Was not my best experience but sorted within an hour or so.
HeadFullOfWool

I'm having the same problem.
I've been a PlusNet customer since 2004 and had started to use the webspace back in those early days...  Now I want to remove that (very old) content, but cannot login.
I only have standard webspace, so using the login instructions as per the "Website Settings" page under my "Member Centre" account page.
However, the login response is continually thrown back as "530 Login incorrect".
I've tried FileZilla (my preferred FTP app - I'm on Linux), but also tried the command line ftp just in case - but same result.
Like the OP, I haven't accessed my Webspace for, ... hmm, must be nearly 10 years, so as it seems to be a commonality I wonder if this has anything to do with the failure to authenticate.
I use my password regularly to access my Member Centre - I store it using KeePassX password manager to prevent typo errors (KeePassX supports copy/paste).
Image of connection attempt via FileZilla attached below...
(edit: Just wondering if the FTP server rejects - can't handle - certain characters in the password?)
bartonturf

I have been trying to upload my late Dad's history website to the plusnet webspace.  I keep getting that 530 login incorrect message as well which is strange because I can log into the plusnet website with no problem.  Am I missing something?
HeadFullOfWool

Exactly matches what I experienced.  After posting my issue above, I went to the PlusNet "chat" function via the "Contact Us" page, where the helpful chap in the chat instructed me to try a couple of things (some of which I had already tried, but it is always worth rechecking).  However the conclusion was to go to their online "help wizard" at https://www.plus.net/wizard/.  From there you start typing the issue details and the system tries to parse the content and match it to previous solutions - which it provides as linked items underneath where you are typing in.  If none of these match the issue (or don't solve it), then you carry on and post (submit) your issue detail.  (Note that you have to be logged in to the member centre - it should prompt you if you are not already.)
I got a fairly quick response (same day - and this was on a Sunday, so I was very happy) from the support engineering team, who "performed some maintenance" on my account and hey-presto I was able to get back in.  It's not clear what the "maintenance" was though.  I hadn't used my FTP connection for the webspace for around 10 years, so suspect it may have been an automatic "disable access if not used for X years" system type of thing...
So I'd recommend you give this route a go!
mav:quote
bartonturf

Thanks for that Headfullofwool.  I'll give it a go.