Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.UK Domains

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

.UK Domains

Is it possible to register the new .UK domains through Plusnet or any of its subsidiaries?
9 REPLIES 9
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: .UK Domains

Just tested "Just The Name" and the answer is No.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Whilst we could technically do it manually, billing and renewal would be messy. Nothing stopping us hosting them though (assuming your account type allows it of course).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

SteveA
Pro

The thing is Bob is  that my brother has a .co.uk domain and therefore has first refusal on the matching .uk domain. The co.uk domain was registered through you so how can he claim his .uk domain if you are not basically acting as a registration agent. ?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

You don't have to use the same registrar to my knowledge, as long as the registrant information (admin/billing email, name address etc.) is the same. I'll reach out to Nominet for confirmation but I'm fairly sure that will be the case.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Response from Nominet:
[quote author="Nominet"]You do not have to have the same registrar for a .UK domain name. The following details needs however do need to match:
- Registered name
- 1st line of the address
- Country code
- Postcode
- Email address.
If you choose to register the .UK domain name through a different registrar to your co.uk domain, you will receive an authentication email from Nominet requesting that you confirm you wish to register the domain.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

SteveA
Pro

Bob - apparently 123reg won't allow my brother to claim his .uk domain unless he transfers his other domain (which you registered) over to them.
Why aren't PN/JTN handling .uk registrations? You handle several other TLDs
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Has your brother approached any other registrars? It's clear from the information provided by Nominet that having both domains with the same registrar is not requisite.
Quote from: SteveA
Why aren't PN/JTN handling .uk registrations? You handle several other TLDs

Put simply, because it would require development work that is probably better invested elsewhere at the moment. It's also fairly difficult to justify the cost. I doubt we'd want to delve into the legacy code-base that is the Plusnet Domain Control System and the return we'd get from implementing it for JTN would be slim.
Having said that, I'm basing a lot of that on assumption. We'll try and look into it properly at some point, I wouldn't hold your breath though. It's definitely going to be quicker to register via an alternative registrar.
Personal recommendation.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

BRABUS
Grafter

123reg in my experience are more expensive compared to others such as www.fasthosts.co.uk and www.dream-hosting.co.uk
avatastic
Grafter

Didn't 123-reg also start charging an 'admin fee' for transferring domains out?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)