Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two websites

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Two websites

Can I host two domains from my PN web space?
I already have two co.uk domains registered, one paid for and the other as part of a freebie from PN.
I've seen something on the old PN site  about changing the name of the htdocs folder but could'nt find it again in a search.
If possible which part of the folder name do I change and how do I redirect my ftp client to it?
Cheers
18 REPLIES 18
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Re: Two websites

Thanks for the help, I just got in from work so havn't had time to 
try this in depth.
Maybe I should clear things up a bit? The two sites are both co.uk addresses registered to my PN account, when I add two new folders to my htdocs folder for each site then type my ***.co.uk address I get an index page with parent directory and
the new folder, clicking the new folder gets the website  Sad
The only way I can get to the site directly is by typing in www.*****.co.uk/newfolder.
is there a way of getting to the new folders index by typing in the original co.uk addy?
I apologise for the pulling of teethness but I'm brand new at site building  Smiley
I'm also using front page which I gather is not the best web design program but its legal and in a format that I'm sort of familiar with just by using other MS products.
I will look into other apps when I get the basics.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Under domains names (on member centre page) click on the configure button next to one of the domains.
Under the section Domain Hosting settings, click deafult (may already be set) and enter the folder name in the box so it says htdocs\foldername1.
Click submit.
Repeat the above for the 2nd domain but use your other folder name.
Wait up to 24 hours and each domain will then default to their relevant folder.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Wink
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that, I would have posted back sooner but I've been busy working on something to put on the site  Smiley
I didnt wait the 24 hrs last time so wasn't sure if it was working or not, I'll let you know tommorow.
One last thing I need to ask, after the htdocs/newfolder part in member centre do I also need /index.html  ?
Just the html bit was already there when I was trying to change the folder name and I cant remember if that was me messing about from last time.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You just need the folder name without any .html files.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

wow that was that quick we might as well have been on messenger  Grin
Thanks for the swift reply m8, I've already configured the site without the html bit so will check back tomorrow.
So far still saying 404 error but I only uploaded about an hour ago.
Fingers crossed.
kind regards.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

working a treat ty all involved  Wink
angelab
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
Connect to your webspace using ypur FTP client and create two sub-folders, one for each site....
...Move the contents of your website into the appropriate sub-folder.
Click on the Domains area in he Member Centre and configure your hosted domain to point to the appropriate sub-folder.

I was glad to see this thread, as it is exactly what I want to do - and you make it sound *so* simple!  Smiley
I have for a long time had one registered  .co.uk website in my PlusNet space, created with MS Word.  (Yes, I know that's very basic, but I can understand it!)  No problem with that.
The second .co.uk domain I have registered today, and received confirmation from Nominet of its registration with Namesco.
What do I do next?
Following the advice in this thread, I have gone to ftp://ftp.plus.net/ and double-clicked on the htdocs icon to open up the folder.
Inside it I have made two sub-folders as directed, named for domain1 and domain2. Then I thought I would drag the files that are currently for domain1 into their folder before I upload the ones destined for the domain2 folder. But they won't go!  Is this because I have not re-configured in the PlusNet Member Centre first, perhaps?
Angela
angelab
Grafter

Er, well I just open the web page mentioned above in my IE window, then I open "Windows Explorer" on my PC, find the place where I keep my website files, and drag them across to the htdocs folder on the ftp://ftp.plus.net/ page.
Ah, maybe that is how I have to do it then?  Drag them from *Windows Explorer* to the new subfolder for domain1? And then do the configuring in the Member Centre to point to the subfolder.
But then there will be duplicates for domain1 still sitting in the main part of the htdocs folder?
Sorry - I am obviously being rather dim about this.    Embarrassed
Angela
angelab
Grafter

Oh dear, PJ...  I am only on W98, and I see it supports W2000, XP and Vista - so presumably it is not for me.
A
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Or if your web site is small you can uplode your main site to your main sites folder from your computer with Internet Explorer, then delete all of the old files wen you have pointed your domain to the folder.
I am guessing that your site is small.  Cry
My main site is 577 page on it to date, and I am doing this.  Cheesy
angelab
Grafter

Aha, tda
What a beautifully simple solution!   I tried deleting a file from the htdocs folder and that works fine, so is clearly the way to go.   Many thanks. 
Yes, my site is about 60 pages, and I guess the new one will be similar in size.
Does anyone know how long it takes for the registration to filter its way through to PlusNet, so that I can begin uploading pages to it?  (I only registered the new domain name yesterday.)
Angela
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: angelab
Does anyone know how long it takes for the registration to fileter its way through to PlusNet, so that I can begin uploading pages to it?  (I only registered the new domain name yesterday.)

It takes 24 hr to go across, but you can up lode now to your folders.   Wink
[Edit]
A wered of coshon do not delete all your old files in one go do it in steps, up lode your new files won day next day delete your old files.   Wink
angelab
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
...If you're planning to do anything involving scripting, permissions or .htaccess files.

I don't even know what those *are*, PJ!  So no danger of that  Wink
I will exercise caution, tda; many thanks for the warning...
A