cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to transfer domain

Andrea2006
Grafter

Trying to transfer domain

I have a domain which i got from servage ages ago, i cancelled their acount, which made the domain un active, can i still  transfer it in, it is a .net address
Do i have to pay for the transfer?
When i also try i get this message something like this
Please enter a name of company name as registrant
I have already entered my name though, it wont let me go further !
3 REPLIES 3
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Trying to transfer domain

What does a whois say its status is?
Post the domain name here if possible.
oliverb
Grafter

I went through a similar scenario a few years back. Back then Network solutions were pretty much the only game in town so I'm going to describe their procedure. As the registrar is probably someone else now the procedure may differ.
Anyway I got in a similar situation, the domain had been registered by a website design house who wanted an excessive renewal fee, which we cancelled.
It was after that that I discovered that we didn't have control over the domain, the administrative contact was an email address at the domain in question.
So I looked up the procedure for regaining control, the first thing was to send an official letter on company paper (there was a different procedure for private registrations, but its similar) which meant I could get myself listed as administrative contact for the domain. Depending on the registrar the steps may differ but you have to get control of the domain.
As administrative contact I was able to remove the duff contact info from the domain and manually set the domain name servers to Plusnet's servers
After that Plusnet could transfer the domain in, though at the time it needed a ticket raising.
Further advice: If you want a smooth transfer without going a few days inaccessable then (assuming your existing hosting hasn't been canceled already) you need to add Plusnet's domain servers in third and fourth place, leaving the old ones in place. Then when Plusnet's transfer process is complete you delete the old name servers.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Just a word to the wise, plusnets renewal fees are VERY expensive - £93/year and for .net there is also a transfer in fee of £18.
So I would transfer the domain elsewhere (e.g. www.daily.co.uk who I use for my domains and they charge £7.99/year) and then arrange to host the domain on your account if that is what you want.