cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to point domain to new web host - changing cnames?

lobsters

Trying to point domain to new web host - changing cnames?

Hi there,
I've got my domain hosted with plusnet and the hosting was provided by another company. However I've just bought my own webhosting package, and I have 2 nameservers to be using to link the domain to this new webhost.
When I go go configure domain, I go down to Cname and I type in ns92.eukdns.com where it says Left field, then ns93.eukdns.com where it says Right field.
However after saving and several hours later the website is now showing a very old version which used to be hosted on the plusnet hosting package.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks for any help
6 REPLIES 6
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Trying to point domain to new web host - changing cnames?

CNAME records aren't doing what you think. What you appear to have done is mapped ns92.eukdns.com.your.domain to ns93.eukdns.com
I'm not aware of anyway to change the nameservers used other  than transferring the domain somewhere else.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: lobsters
Hi there,
I've got my domain hosted with plusnet

Believe what you really mean is that Plusnet is the  Registrar. While some Registrars allow you to change the Nameservers Plusnet is not one of them. The Nameservers point the the DNS records and in turn the DNS records point to Web space mail servers etc.
So a domain has
1. A Registrar, this is the company that you pay to register your domain name and control or allow access to the Nameservers.
2. DNS, which the Nameservers point to.
3. DNS records which have the IP addresses for Web and Emails servers and more.
4. Web and Email servers.
Now these 4 could be control by one single company or each by a separate company.  In my case I use 4 separate companies. So the first question, your new Webhosting package do you have to use their DNS?
lobsters

Thanks for the help.
Yep I'm pretty sure I need to use their DNS with the new web hosting account. Not sure how else I'd link the domain to the hosting otherwise?
kmilburn
Grafter

How to link does depend on how the new webhost is expecting to work..
If you let us know who your new host is,  we could possibly provide a more concrete answer!
lobsters

Sure, its EUK Hosting. Was for a wordpress blog to be installed, with the site running as a blog. Thanks
kmilburn
Grafter

From the look of it,  if your using their shared web hosting,  you'll need to use their nameservers due to load management,  which means transferring the domain.
If you have dedicated server hosting,  you should have a fixed IP,  which just needs an A record.
This is probably a moot point, but, an alternative approach for wordpress woul be to pay them to host it with subdomain support, and use a CNAME record to link them.