Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Install MyBB - Help Help

bitz1
Grafter

Trying to Install MyBB - Help Help

Hi
I am trying to install Mybb on my webspace, I have uploaded all the files and set the permissions  correctly. But when I navigate to the install folder to run the install wizard.
All I get is the option to open or save the file, just wondered if anyone had an answer to help me get this up and running
Am I doing something wrong here?  Can anyone help?
10 REPLIES 10
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Trying to Install MyBB - Help Help

Have you uploaded to the homepages server (ftp.plus.net) or the ccgi server?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Have you uploaded the files to your homepages (www.username.plus.com) webspace rather than the ccgi webspace (ccgi.username.plus.com)? Being PHP and MySQL based MyBB needs to go on the latter.
When you said you'd set permissions correctly did you mean those specified in Section 6 of the CGI Platform PHP Upgrade FAQ?
David
bitz1
Grafter

LOL totally lost here, I activated MySQL and I have now activated the CGI, am I supposed to put these into a CGI folder which i can't see.
Think I maybe getting out of my depth here.
What i meant by permissions i chmod the appropriate files, as MyBB asked.
Thanks for any info.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

ccgi space is on a completely different server from the standard webspace (homepages) one. Access information, via FTP and an internet browser is provided in section 2 of the Webspace Connection Details help page.
With regard to MyBB you need to be aware that the current version requires MySQL 5. MySQL currently provided by Plusnet is version 4.1.11. Have you considered SMF as an alternative - that does work on MySQL 4.1.
David
bitz1
Grafter

Hi
Thanks for that.
I have now downloaded SMF.
I have MySQL activated, and CGI activated.
I have uploaded the files to my cgi server
When i try to install it says server not found.  I am using ccgi.myname.plus.com/
Have i loaded them down to the right place i have put them inside of the cgi-bin?
I have chmod all the permissions as per the instructions.
Is there something else i am supposed to be doing?
Thanks appreciate it.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

They don't need to go in to cgi-bin. Where you put them will be part of the URL to access the forums so if you put them in a directory called forums the URL will be http://ccgi.myname.plus.com/forums. If you don't intend to use your CCGI space for anything else you could put them in the root directory so that the URL is just http://ccgi.myname.plus.com
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bitz1
Grafter

Hi again,
A little bit closer, I have managed to access the cgi server now.
Have forum folder  in my main directory, and have chmod all permissions that were required.
I can access a .jpg on that server however, when i try install.php i get the following
"Server error!
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Error message:
Premature end of script headers: install.php
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster. "
ERROR 500.
What am I doing wrong now?
Would appreciate any help, and thanks in advance.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

When you uploaded the files were text files (.php, .js, etc) uploaded as ascii rather than binary? If binary the line ending are likely to be incorrect which can give that error.
However the most likely cause is incorrect file permissions. You must ignore anything you read about file permissions on the SMF site or elsewhere.
Using a plain text editor I suggest you create the script included in this post as (say) setperms.cgi - it must have a .cgi file extension. Upload it as an ascii transfer to your forum directory. Set its file permissions to 0700 then browse to it. That will set file and directory permissions appropriately for ccgi, giving you on-screen listing of what has been set.
David
David
bitz1
Grafter

Tried everything you said, and have tried 3 different bulletin boards now, is this just a thing with Plusnet as i notice others on here with exactly the same problem?
All 3 BB's come up with the same, i can't access install and come up with error 500.
Might give up as a bad job unless i am doing something silly.  Followed everything you have said.
One thing i notice is that i can't delete the folders on the cgi server as it says directory not empty.
Is this anything to do with the problem?
Thanks.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

If you are getting a Server 500 error nothing will install until the error is eliminated. This has nothing to do with what the application is. It's possible your ccgi webspace has not been created properly but Plusnet staff would have to check that.
On any Linux system you can't delete folders unless they are empty. Normally if you attempt this with an FTP program it will first go into the folder and delete its contents recursively, finally deleting the requested folder. Does your FTP program not do that?
For information, the MyBB install program ran first time for me when I tried it, but failed when it tried to create MySQL tables because it needs MySQL 5 (and ccgi has 4.1.11).
The step before running SMF install was to set permissions correctly using Gabe's setperms.cgi program. Did that run successfully outputting a table with columns for Type, Name, User & Group, Permissions for all folders and files in the SMF installation?
If that didn't run did you get a Server 500 error when you tried? Was that "Premature end of script headers"? Did you set its file permissions to 0700 (-rwx------)?
If it did run were all folder permissions set to 0710 (drwx--x---)? And .php, .cgi file permissions (there shouldn't be any .pl files) set to 0700 (-rwx------)? Other files should retain their uploaded values which should be 0640 (-rw-r-----). Is User your username and Group cgiusers?
Assuming that ran successfully file permissions should be correct; do you have any .htaccess files in your ccgi root ( / ) or /forum folder? (Because this file name starts with a dot it will be hidden; to see it "show hidden files" needs to be set in your FTP program.) I assumed you didn't have any .htaccess files since you'd only just created the webspace.
Sections 8 and 9 of the new CGI Upgrade FAQ quoted below are relevant to Server 500 and Premature end of script headers errors.
[quote=http://community.plus.net/library/settings/cgi-platform-php-upgrade-faq/]
8. I'm getting a server 500 error when trying to browse to my web site.
The most common reason for this error is where customers are using .htaccess directives that are not compatible with the new servers.  The new platform allows .htaccess to override only: FileInfo, AuthConfig and Limit directive types. This is much more secure but may cause some formerly-allowed directives to fail e.g. IndexIgnore must be removed. For more information about this, please refer to the forum post here. If you're receiving this error then you should also check that your permissions adhere to the limitations detailed above.
9. I'm getting a 'Premature end of script headers: index.php' error, what does it mean?
Check that your file permissions and any .htaccess files adhere to the limitations set out above. You should also check that you're using compatible environment variables. See here for more information.
David