cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring domain and emails to a new domain registrar/host

lobsters

Transferring domain and emails to a new domain registrar/host

Hi,
Bit of a longshot but wondering if anyone can help with this problem.
I want to change webhost (thought I could just point to the new nameservers from Plusnet) but have been told I need to change domain registrar as well. So I'm thinking of transferring my domain to GoDaddy.
My issue is that Plus net dealt with my websites emails - now if I transfer I'll have to have them managed elsewhere. Does anyone know if I'm likely to lose all my emails if I transfer to another domain registrar?
At the moment emails are set up with mailboxes and at our office our staff have their own mailbox which is connected to Outlook Express.
Really appreciate any help with this, don't want to lose many years of emails when making the switch. Also does anyone know how long my email is likely to be down if I do switch?
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Transferring domain and emails to a new domain registrar/host

Duplicate post removed
kmilburn
Grafter

What happens to email will depend on where the email is stored.
If the domains email settings are set at POP3 (the default),  the email is stored on Plusnets servers within your accounts mailboxes  (e.g. emails to mailbox@username.plus.net and mailbox@mydomain.com both appear in the same place).
If that's the case,  moving the domain will have no effect on existing emails on the server.
If you move the domain,  what you need to do depends on the services provided.
If I remember correctly,  Plusnet will not accept email for domains it doesn't host,  so an MX record back to Plusnet won't work.
If they provide some email support, you could recreate the mailboxes and have them all forward  to their  Plusnet equivalent.
As asked in your other thread,  do you really need to move the domain to a new registrar.
lobsters

Thanks for the reply.
I need to move the domain to another host because they won't accept the nameservers I've given for the new web hosting account I've set up elsewhere.
So I've been told by my new web host that I should be able to set up the email accounts again, and I've downloaded the messages received to the email accounts on Outlook/Outlook express and will try and move them across.
If anyone knows an alternative or reason not to move then that would be good to hear, thanks.