cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer out and webmail

mikethackery
Dabbler

Transfer out and webmail

Sorry, if this is a dumb question but I'm not very experienced in this area.
I'm thinking of transferring my domain out to another provider (who is hosting a separate domain I have - nothing personal, just easier to manage all in one place  Smiley )
I currently access my email purely using plusnet webmail, so all email and folders of filed emails are on plusnet servers. Do all those emails/folders get transferred out to the new provider also if I simply request a transfer out?  Or have I got to download them somehow first so I don't lose all my previous emails?
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Transfer out and webmail

That isn't a silly question and to understand what happens when an email is received by the Plusnet servers
If you have a domain hosted - mydomain.co.uk and your account is myaccount then
Once a valid email is received such as fred@mydomain.co.uk Plusnet only look at the part before the @ so an email received to fred@myaccount.plus.com is considered to be the same email address in effect.
This means that any existing emails and folders you have created would remain but that future email once you have transferred the domain out wouldn't be
mikethackery
Dabbler

OK, thanks Jim.  So email to fred@mydomain.co.uk will arrive at my new provider (when my domain switches across) whilst email to fred@myaccount.plus.com would continue to be received by Plusnet for however long my account was open with them.
So that still leaves the question of whether anyone can show me a way to get all the old emails/folders across.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you set up an email client using IMAP for the old and new mail accounts you'll be able to copy everything across.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mikethackery
Dabbler

Thanks jelv, I'll give that a go.