Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer freenetname / madasfish domain

FIXED
Tetsuo

Transfer freenetname / madasfish domain

Hi there,

Seeing previous posts on the subject, I think I will need some help by PN to get my old freenetname/madasafish domain transferred out.

Customer service via telephone didn't have a clue what I was talking about and pointed me towards here.

So hopefully someone can be of some assistance.

Many thanks in advance.

Tetsuo

18 REPLIES 18
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Re: Transfer freenetname / madasfish domain

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Email to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Have you identified a new registrar / hosting?

If yes, have you started the process?  You need to do that first.

There are differing thoughts on the sequence to do this.  Personally I would do as much as possible to commission your new email provider's services before moving the domain's registration and DNS / name server.  That should allow you to move old emails over before losing access to the MAAF service / content.

If this is a .uk domain, the process is simple - you just ask Plusnet to change the TAGS code to that of the new registrar.  If it is a .com domain, you'll need to request am EPP code.

See How to transfer .co.uk and .com domain names – Our top 5 tips (unionroom.com)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Tetsuo

Many thanks Townman,

Have taken onboard your suggestions and signed up with a new hosting provider.

As you have pointed out, I now need to let PN know the new hosting provider's TAG code and obviously the domain name to be transferred. How can I do this or "raise a ticket" as previous postings have eluded to? 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You cannot raise a ticket.  Post on the Everything Else board - a staff member will pick that up and raise a ticket for you...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bizzi
Dabbler

I cannot email to gmail account holders. My domain is Freenetname I think I will need some help by PN to get my old freenetname domain transferred out. Yet, I do not want to change my address franco@bizzi.co.uk. Would transferring out solve my problem?

Kind regards

Franco

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Franco,

Your HOST provider is freenetname.co.uk - part of the Mad As A Fish (MAAF) portfolio.  If you send email from you@freenetname.co.uk your emails should get through to Gmail, because there is a SPF configuration for that domain name.

MAAF does not provide a facility for HOSTED domain names to set a SPF record, so if you want to to send from @yourdomain.co.uk you will need to move the domain and hosting to another email hosting service.  Given that you do use your own domain for emailing, you will not lose contact with parties to whom you have given email addresses referencing your own domain name.

If you have used you@freenetname.co.uk ... that would be a different matter.

Your first step is to identify an email hosting provider of your choice and then initiate the service transfer.  You will need to request a TAGS change from Plusnet at the appropriate time.

You should still be able to access the MAAF mailbox after the migration.

@Gandalf - did I "miss" anything?

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

Fix

@Townman ownman just to let you know I have pm'd @Tetsuo to get that side sorted.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Bizzi
Dabbler

Dear Townman,

This is my account at freenentname:

email address: <redacted>

user name: <redacted>

Incoming server: mail.freenetname.co.uk

Outgoing server: smtpmail.freenetname.co.uk

Based on the above can you give me further instructions?

Many thanks

Franco

Moderator's Note: Personal information removed

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Franco,

Not sure what you are seeking here beyond "Your first step is to identify an email hosting provider of your choice and then initiate the service transfer.  You will need to request a TAGS change from Plusnet at the appropriate time."

That information relates to your current hosting set up with MAAF (Plusnet).  You probably need to find a new provider and initiate the transfer of your domain name to address Gmail's belligerence.

Bizzi
Dabbler

Dear Townman,

Thanks for your reply. Can you recommend an email hosting provider?

Kind regards

Franco

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Franco,

Asking for a recommendation is a big ask, for such needs experience of any provider one might recommend and potentially has comebacks if the recommendations do not fit your needs.

There are a vast array of providers out there (do a Google search) offering very little to as much as you can 'eat' from free to costing an arm and two legs.  YOU need to consider what do YOU need ...

• Email
    • How many mailboxes
    • Aliases
    • Catchall
    • Auto responses
    • Email forwarding (with SRS)
    • Storage allowance
    • Do you want the service to support contacts and calendars (as well as email)
  • Website
    • Environment  - .php / .asp
    • Database
    • Web development tools - WordPress / Joomla (etc)
    • Bandwidth
  • Support availability and capability

Some of the above you might get for free by moving to Outlook.com or Gmail.com (including other data mining providers)  - however I am not up to date with their domain name hosting offerings ... and have no insight as to how they facilitate multiple mailboxes on the same domain name ... as fundamentally their free services are single user products.

Paid for services range from ££ per mailbox per month, through to unlimited domains, unlimited mailboxes and unlimited addresses (along with a lot of bells and whistles) for just £ per month.

Personally I have used lcn.com who have excellent support but are not the cheapest (and by no means the most expensive).  Mythic Beasts - Mythic Beasts (mythic-beasts.com) have some great packages from £2 pcm which will do all which your existing Plusnet / MAAF service will do ... and more besides.  I have no direct experience of this provider, though they will probably be my preferred "target" for migrating my acquired business services - the current provider wants £200 pa for providing far less.

There are other providers.

Tetsuo

Many thanks @willcutforth . Domain transferred and live on new provider! No more "gmail" bounce back! 

Also thumbs up @Townman for highlighting my issue!

Keep up the good work guys!

Bizzi
Dabbler

To which new provider did you transfer your Madasafish email? Did you keep the same email address? Is there a monthly fee?

Thanks

Franco

Bizzi
Dabbler

Can I ask Plusnet to be my new domain host for my Freenetname account? Would this transfer solve the problem?