cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total re design of my web site

teebee30
Dabbler

Total re design of my web site

Help needed from a Front Page expert please.
My web site is looking a bit dated so I have just re designed / modernised it using a different FP Theme and also splitting some longer pages into separate pages - resulting in a more complicated navigation structure.
The new site is now ready to replace the existing one.
Changes to my existing site have been all plain sailing - just press the Publish button in Front Page and it's done.
I am hoping that I can now complete the 'changeover' by opening the revised web and pressing the same button in the new web - but am nervous about it!! Don't want to start the New Year badly.
Can anyone confirm that things are that straightforward - before I take the plunge?
My site is http://www.risepark.plus.com
It is on my normal web space - not on the Front Page server  (extensions not used)
Any answers in plain English please - I am not programming wizard, nor have desires to be.

6 REPLIES 6
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Total re design of my web site

Don't use FrontPage.  Have a look for a free Editor on Google.
But to answer your question Yes you can up lode.
[Edit]
Spelling
teebee30
Dabbler

Thanks Gary. Think you have a 'bit of a down' on Front Page, but it's proved ideal for my purposes and never any bother.
Appreciate your confirmation, but will let the New Year in before proceeding.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: teebee30
Think you have a 'bit of a down' on Front Page,

Front Page has a nasty habit of puting a lot of Junk in the page coding, that is why I don't like Front Page.  Wink
but it's proved ideal for my purposes and never any bother.

Have you tryed a different web Editor?

Well that is in just 3 & a harf hours.  Smiley
Have a good new year.
netreg
Grafter

Quote from: teebee30
Thanks Gary. Think you have a 'bit of a down' on Front Page, but it's proved ideal for my purposes and never any bother.

I think you will find that there will be many more people (including myself) that as you say, have a down on Front Page..  Yes it does the job, but there are certainly other tools available that are much better..  Smiley
that said, good luck with your new site.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Don't listen to them, if you have Front Page and like it, then use it.
OK there may be better tools especially for CSS. But if Front Page works for you, then use it.
The code it produced is quite clean and clear, if you want to see messed up HTML use MS Word to produce a web page.
Backup, Backup, Backup.
Just make sure that you have a backup of both your old and new sites, and follow the prompts very carefully.
It may be an idea to remove the old site first using a FTP program like filezilla.
Chilly
teebee30
Dabbler

Thanks for replies.
Yes - it works. But had to sit for a nail biting 50 minutes (broadband) to reach the terminus!
Didn't need to clear old files out. Front Page did that automatically.
I've certainly been happy with FP for few years now and could not envisage the work involved in learning to use a new programme and then re doing my site (with numerous pages and over 250 photos) all over again.
For my basic requirements it certainly serves the purpose and does all the html / coding / publishing etc. for me.
No point in "having a dog and barking yourself" by bothering to learn programming - unless you have to.
But I do believe that FP is now no longer available.
Happy New Year