cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Newbie!

lr73

Total Newbie!

Total new to all this so here goes - Got 250MB free webspace with broadband so thought I would use it. Downloaded Nvu software which seems to work fine and able to put stuff on my website.
My questions are
- is that all I need to do?
- is it safe from hackers?
and finally how do I keep tabs on it so it doesnt go over the limit and if it gets nears to it how can I stop it going over?
Also what in idiots terms does 250mb look like i.e approx how many pages, pictures,text, coloured pages etc?
Is there a tool for this? Undecided
Thanks in advance for any help.
4 REPLIES 4
samuria
Grafter

Re: Total Newbie!

If you have upload your pages and you can see it on the web then thats all you need to do.
It should be safe from hackers let +net worry about that.
You should know how much you have uploaded so that will give you an idea if you have uploaded 5 meg then you would have to get a fare few hits per day to go over assuming everyone looked at every page. If you look on your hard disk you can see how much space the site is taking by the files on your drive if you keep them all in one dir
You can download the webstats to see how you page is going. Images are the main reason people go over so keep them as small as you can
pierre_pierre
Grafter

one of the problems some people have had is that they have very popular subjects and have attracted a lot of visitors and then gone over there usuage bandwidth (not web space)
Denzil
Grafter

It is usually a good idea to keep a copy of your site on your own PC anyway so you can play about with things before uploading. it is then easy to see how much space it is using.
250Mb is more than enough for most websites. As an example, <a href="http://www.archersofthewest.co.uk">this</a> is a site I designed for my archery club, which is about 3Mb in total. The things that eat up disk space and bandwidth are high resolution images and, especially, video clips, flash animations and so on.
Edit: fixed link
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: samuria
It should be safe from hackers let +net worry about that.

Unless server-side scripting is involved, in which case it would be the creator/user of the code that is responsible for keeping it secure, rather than Plusnet's.