Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The use of 'Username'

Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

The use of 'Username'

I don’t know quite where to post this so feel free to move it if required.
Yesterday I tried to upload a trial web site to my ‘Free’ web space and came across a minor but annoying ‘glitch’. It concerns the use of the ‘Username’ in instructions.
For instance, when we use ‘Username’ in the instructions for setting up a router we mean ‘username@f9.co.uk’ but when we use it in the context of logging in to Webmail or the ftp server or your mail account it actually means just ‘username’ not the ‘@’ sign and the rest thereafter.
This caused me a bit of confusion when I tried to access the ftp server and followed the instructions on the Help & Support page for ‘Uploading Files Using FTP’. I used the full Username not the short version and all I got was error messages.
So I wonder if it might not be better to use ‘Username’ in the router context and ‘Login Name’ for use when talking about Webmail, account settings etc. With a possible hint to which each refers too at the top of the page(s). Not a great deal in the general scheme of things but just a suggestion.
What do others think?
Regards, P.
1 REPLY 1
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: The use of 'Username'

In general any reference to username means just the username.
In the case of router settings it is more correct to refer to it as username@realm as the realm part may not be plus.com as you would expect from your e-mail address / webspace, but plusdsl.net
Chilly