cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Cookie Monster

christmas
Aspiring Pro

The Cookie Monster

Have not been to the PlusNet site for sometime and was met by The Cookie Monster telling me the site uses cookies. The choice is ACCEPT or MODIFY.

I select MODIFY and set the tracking and advertising cookies to OFF, finally I select CLOSE & SAVE but.....

Having switched the computer off,  when I come back to the PlusNet Site a day or two later the Cookie Monster reappears and I have to go through the MODIFY procedure again!

Is the Cookie Monster hungry for me to ACCEPT rather than select MODIFY?

12 REPLIES 12
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: The Cookie Monster

Since the implementation of the GDPR in May, a lot of sites are asking us to confirm, or reconfirm, our cookie preferences.  Some sites seem slow to update, e.g. dictionary.com asked me every time I visited, and for every word I looked up, for a week or so.  It got so annoying that I Googled the word instead and the dictionary entry would show at, or near, the top of the results list.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

This forum repeatedly asks for cookie confirmation when accessed from my phone. I’m not seeing it on my PC. Therefore it could be client device related.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@Townman wrote:
..... Therefore it could be client device related.

Pardon?

I'm using a PC.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

I suspect that you have got the 'Delete all cookies when I close the browser' option set in your browser settings, the same as me.

You might think/hope that your choice was saved in your account but if it's controlled by cookies then you can't have it both ways.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Does Internet Explorer 11 have the option to delete cookies after each session?

Under Privacy/Advanced, First Party & Third Party cookies are set to accept.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I spoke too soon in my previous post (No. 2 above).  The intrusive questioning started again this weekend, and my settings can't be at fault since I never get asked a second time by other sites.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ebay is one of my "favourite" cookie sites at the moment.

As well as the usual narrow band popping across the top a wide blue band had started appearing at the bottom.

No rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes just the top one sometimes the bottom sometimes both sometimes the blue one reappears after looking at a few pages.

All great "fun".

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Another site I use started a cookie alert on 1 Aug,

.....To review the types of Cookies we use and third parties that can deploy Interest-Based Advertising Cookies on this site, click the Cookies Dashboard link below. You can adjust your Cookies preferences anytime by using the Cookies Dashboard. To continue to the site without Interest-Based Advertising Cookies, click on the X button in the top corner of this message.  To agree to the use of Interest-Based Advertising Cookies for the site, click I Agree below.

Except there is no X button.

On some sites they have cookie warnings but because I can still use the sites I don't accept or modify, what happens there?

PlusNet still repeatedly asking me what sort of Cookies I like.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for the feedback on this everyone, I'll make sure that gets passed on to the relevant people here. - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Still have to get past the Cookie Monster to access gain entry to the forums. 

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Still asks me every time I visit PlusNet, only 1 click so no big deal but it's just an unnecessary annoyance. Don't know any other site that doesn't remember when I've already answered .

Maybe the monster needs another cookie!

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
christmas
Aspiring Pro

I woke up this morning and found an added bonus, after clicking on the Cookie Monster the following banner appeared...

Cookies settings successfully updated

You can change these settings at any time on our Cookie policy page. These settings apply to new cookies. If you'd like to remove existing cookies, this can be done in your browser settings.

Except it wasn't successfully as the Cookie Monster still blocks the way.