cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary website needed

Mardler
Rising Star

Temporary website needed

I may have a need to set up a website for a charitable UK based organisation.
Looking at PN hosting costs this seems prohibitive so two questions:-
1. The cost looks like >£100 as the site will probably be taken down after use thus incurring a hefty penalty: true?
2. Any better, reliable and cheap, suggestions?
TIA/
6 REPLIES 6
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Temporary website needed

You have webspace on your account so can host a domain registered elsewhere for free. It's only static webspace though, so you won't be able to do anything clever with it like host PHP/SQL applications.
Your email would also filter into your existing mailboxes, which might not be what you desire if the domain is intended for use by the charity.
If a new domain needs registering, then there's an option to do so for £1/mnth. You would need to pay for a minimal of 12 months though IIRC.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks, Bob.
The £1 option may be useful.
I've asked the organisation to find out the software involved plus data usage expected and will come back with data.
MartyPop
Rising Star

Quote from: Mardler
2. Any better, reliable and cheap, suggestions?

CloudAccess offer a FREE Joomla/WordPress hosting plan as well as the usual paid-for hosting plans. I've been using their FREE hosting plan for quite a while and it works very well but the only possible drawback is that once a month, you have to login to your Control Panel and "renew" your FREE hosting plan. If you don't "renew", your site gets deleted but they always send an email reminder a couple of days before the "renewal" is due. Might be worth having a look  Wink
Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

lcn.com offer excellent free services for registered charities.  Very quick to set up and excellent support.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

expat

Vidahost also offer free charity hosting on their cloud platform [php mysql mssql] and even if you are not a "registered" charity just drop them a line, I did and got free hosting for a very worthwhile group who provide free holidays for injured soldiers. Rest and Recover Menorca http://restandrecovermenorca.org/ ... anyone care to donate?Huh