cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TXT and SRV records in DNS

tssrmacdonald

TXT and SRV records in DNS

I want to create some TXT and SRV records in DNS to point at  some third party servers.
I am told Plus.net do not support this. A search on here turned up an old thread of recommended DNS services.
Anyone managed to find a workaround?
Does anyone have any recommendations for DNS hosting services that they are using that ismore flexible?
I suppose the alternative is to find another ISP that is more flexible. Any recommendations? Would be the last resort as I have been with plus.net for a long time but I do like a one stop shop that covers all my needs. DNS service is sadly a bit limited here. I am sure before BT it was more flexible.
Many Thanks
Robert
7 REPLIES 7
itsme
Grafter

Re: TXT and SRV records in DNS

Who is  your domain Registrar and don't they offer DNS service?
tssrmacdonald

Both registered and hosted at plus.net so no they do not support.  Sad
Just looking at moving dns to daily.co.uk or shifting whole lot to talktalk. Waiting for their responses to see if they have support.
Have had good experience with plus.net so not wanting to change. Could be frying pan to fire.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: tssrmacdonald
Could be frying pan to fire.

Nah - more like frying pan to inferno.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
avatastic
Grafter

I ended up self hosting my DNS.
Fasthosts.co.uk offer records for SPF, TXT and SRV (as well as the usual mix of MX, CNAME, A, AAAA) and seem to be simple enough to use, they could be worth a look.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
itsme
Grafter

Both registered and hosted at plus.net so no they do not support.  Sad

So I assume that you are paying £54 per year for registration when the normal rate is approximately £7 with other registrars.
I use Fasthost and I have both TXT and SPF records.
Also between ourselves as PN when they host your site also want to host the DNS it is possible to split these 2 functions.
Simon_M
Grafter

DNS service is sadly a bit limited here. I am sure before BT it was more flexible.

Nope. I moved my DNS records away in 2003 for the same reason - no SRV records. A re-write of the DNS system was imminent at that point - planned for 'before Christmas' according to the esteemed Mr Wild (of blessed memory - Hi Ian!). Unfortunately, they had omitted to mention which Christmas they had in mind. Clearly not 2011 either.
Rumbles

I'm pretty sure that Pay as you Host (Plusnets sister company) offer TXT and SRV records, might be worth raising a ticket on your account to ask about it... it's the same people managing your domain at the end of the day then:
http://www.inuk.com/