Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Speed, Profile and Achievable Speed

FIXED
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Sync Speed, Profile and Achievable Speed

I have very recently given up my 55/10 service and upgraded to 80/20. This has inspired me to look at my states.

I note that I am syncing at 75.67Mbps, my IP profile is 73.7Mbps and my achievable download speed is 70.55Mbps.

I know that there are overheads and I can't expect to download at the sync speed but am a bit surprised that it is over 5Mbps slower. Can any-one advise whether these results are in line with what I should be getting?

BTw Speed Test.pngRouter stats.png

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

6 REPLIES 6
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Syns Speed, Profile and Achievable Speed

Hi @Baldrick1, the Profile on your account on our side and the one on BT Wholesale are both currently showing 80Mbps.

Having said this, it doesn't look like your connection has dropped since this went up from 73Mbps.

Could you try disconnecting and reconnecting the router and let us know if you see any changes following this please.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Baldrick1

@HarryB

Thanks for looking at this for me. I've disconnected and reconnected. As you can see the profile is still stuck at 73.17Mbps.

I don't know if it's relevant but when I first went on to fibre my profile was stuck. This was cured by Chris Parr (https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-installed-today-slow-connection/m-p/1233389#M188... and  https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Feedback-From-Fibre-Upgrade/m-p/1231598#M60251) moving my profile slightly then putting it back. As you will read there was no known cause except possible 'things that go bump in the night'! Also, if it's relevant I'm on a fixed IP address, I understand that this gives your system more control over my profile. Can you possibly try the Chris P trick and see if it helps?

Moderator and Customer

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Fix

I've dropped that down a few options on the profile list and bumped it back up to the maximum it'll let me select manually (78Mbps)

As you're on a static IP, you may need to give it another disconnection/reconnect.

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Baldrick1

Thanks @HarryB

As you can see it has improved the situation. The profile is now 75.08Mbps which is still below my sync speed, currently 77.65Mbps. However, I assume that as the profile is currently above the maximum measured download speed of 74.21Mbps any further tinkering is academic. In the real world any difference will be irrelevant anyway.

I'm just fascinated why if the Plusnet profile is set at 78Mbps and the BT one at 80Mbps BT diagnostics should report 75.08Mbps?

Routerstats 2.pngBTw Speed Test 3.png

Moderator and Customer

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The BT IP Profile is usually set to about 96.7% of the sync speed. The 75.08 Mbps IP profile is correct for your sync speed.

I don't know where the "BT diagnostics" one of 80 came from, could that have been from the profile name containing 0.128M-80M? Even if you were syncing at the full 80Mb, your IP profile wouldn't be 80, it would be 96.7% of 80.

Plusnet could manually set their copy of the IP profile to any value.

I think what you may have re-discovered in your initial post, is how a correctly set Plusnet IP profile reduces your speed a little too much. It's no longer an issue with dynamic IPs for which the Plusnet profile no longer limits anything. Plusnet manually setting your Plusnet profile higher than what it should be has removed that issue for you. One of the old threads on the issue: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Affect-on-speeds-of-the-Plusnet-profile/td-p/991521

Baldrick1

@ejs

Thanks for your input and the clarification. I'm sorry I worded it badly in my post, the 80Mbps BT IP Profile came from here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Sync-Speed-Profile-and-Achievable-Speed/m-p/1543183#M1.... I have no idea where Harry got it from but that is what threw me as it did not align with the diagnostics result.

I assume that I was looking at it the wrong way around. Since dropping the connection and reconnecting my speed has not increased because my IP Profile had been set higher but rather my IP Profile has increased because my sync speed after reconnecting was higher than previously.

Moderator and Customer