cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for CMS/Forum/Wiki

seanbranagh
Grafter

Suggestions for CMS/Forum/Wiki

I plan to at some point over the next while to create a site/community for users running their own webservers at home.
One such site did exist and was good some time ago called diywebserver.com but has since vanished.
My own webserver and setup has proved reliable enough over the years to serve this purpose.
What I am looking for is a CMS for adding all of the information that exists on the current (outdated) site hosted on my server so I can easily keep this up to date, a forum for users but also a wiki for users to add their own articles to help other users with setup etc. as I am obviously not the only authority on this subject on the internet.
The problem is putting all of this together into a site that is identical throughout. I know I could do this be editing a forum etc. myself but I am looking for the lazy option.
Plus Net have done a good job with WordPress and SMF on this site and something similar would suit my needs although a Wiki would also be good.
Any ideas? Does the Word Press / SMF option involve a lot of work?
I have installed SMF several times and it is definitely my preferred option for a forum.
The server is CentOS/Apache/PHP/MYsql and there is obviously no limit to what I am able to do / install on that.
9 REPLIES 9
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Suggestions for CMS/Forum/Wiki

Heyup,
I've always liked e107 Smiley Have a look at it, I wouldn't use the forums though, unless you secure it properly making it accessible to registered users only, otherwise it'll get spammed by bots.... i made that mistake once Cheesy
Another option would be Drupal.
I'm at work at the moment, so just a quick post, dont have time to find the links for you.
Cheers,
Matt
seanbranagh
Grafter

Thanks, I didn't realize Dupral had a forum option? I must look closer at that.
However based on the fact that I like SMF I am looking at TinyPortal which appears to add some website functionality to an SMF forum although more reading needed.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Mmm, TinyPortal looks good based on my existing experience with SMF. I am currently doing a fresh CentOS / Virtualmin install on a local VM to start playing with this.
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Awesome, I'll take a look at it too then, as i'm looking for a CMS for my webbie Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: Sean
I plan to at some point over the next while to create a site/community for users running their own webservers at home.
One such site did exist and was good some time ago called diywebserver.com but has since vanished.
[Snip]

Sean it is now at http://diyws.net and the forum is at http://diyws.net/forum/ I am going to sine up, you may knoe I have 4 servers, 2 will be web servers and 2 will be email servers, so I will be looking for all the help that I can get on home servers.
You have a neet set up at home.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Ah, there it is and I am still registered on the forum. Well I suppose that is my idea out the window.
I might still set up something similar though as this is a US based site.
I am just curious as to how many people I can attract, my existing website does do quite well with visitors.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: Sean
I might still set up something similar though as this is a US based site.

Yep and it is basically Ded.
I am going thru the forum and I can not find any good info on setting up a server
I am just curious as to how many people I can attract, my existing website does do quite well with visitors.

Well if you do put up a forum with Tutorials on setting up a server I will be there, so I say go for it!
seanbranagh
Grafter

I replied to your post over there.
I have just thought of another thing, how many static IP's do you have? If you want to run 2 public webservers you will need at least a block of 4. A block of 8 would be more useful and can be obtained from Plus Net by completeing a RIPE form. You would also need a router capable of making use of the addresses. Any router can use no-nat and route all your addresses through to the seperate computers but I am guessing you would still want a local network. In this case you would either need 2 routers or one router that can can perform port forwarding on multiple external addresses. I use a Cisco for this but it is my second router. I have a Netgear connnected to the line with the option of running public IP's directly through to servers or I can use the Cisco, put the servers on the local network but NAT an entire public address through that way.
If you are new to that side of things you may find it a bit daunting but it is also very interesting and I and others will be on hand to help.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@ Sean, I am new to it all, I have never run a server before, I have replied to your post over on DIYwebserver, I think that we should continue this over there.