Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming problems with TP-Link AX73

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Streaming problems with TP-Link AX73

Has anyone had any problems getting  a TP-Link router to stream TV over their Plusnet connection? It's like the picture motion is jagged (refresh rate?) and the picture cycles blurring and clearing (unsteady bitrate?) Putting my Hub 2 back in as the primary modem/router, connecting my TV's LAN cable to the Hub 2 and then running a LAN cable from the Hub 2 to the AX73's WAN port and just using that as an AP seems to remedy the picture problem.
Ideally I just wanted to use the Hub 2 in Bridge mode and have a PPPoE connection to the AX73's WAN port and use that as my router but maybe it isn't that simple?
I'm getting my max speedtest speeds of 74/18 in any configuration but I guess streaming takes more than that into consideration?  I'm only using cabled connections presently.

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Streaming problems with TP-Link AX73

@southerner  I have a TPlink router, not your model, its an ER605 and has no problems streaming, so its not a general TPlink problem.

Do you have any of the Homeshield functonality active ? QoS functions and the like can affect throughput.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I have same 75MB package, same TP setup, but no problems. However I gave up on wifi long ago when I had Devolo, I use ethernet cable from TP in mains socket to my (new) TV. I realise this is old-fashioned but if it works I don't fix it!

Mike

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Do you have any of the Homeshield functonality active ? QoS functions and the like can affect throughput.

@MisterW Hi, No I don't, I did fiddle with QoS though but it just seemed to knock a couple of Mb off my up and down speeds.

Only other thing I found Googling was about 'Buffer Bloat' I think I have that with the AX73 as my up and down speeds max out at about 1Mb more than I actually get from Plusnet. Enabling QoS fixed the Buffer Bloat according to a Buffer Bloat testing site (went from grade 'F' to 'A+') but alas didn't fix my original problem 🙂 I wonder what the Hub Two does differently with streaming?....