Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP?

BaxMaxTuck
Grafter

Static IP?

Hi, looking for a little help.

Quite a bizarre thing has happened, i think that without requesting it, I have been switched from a Dynamic IP to a Static IP. For the last few days I noticed that when I got disconnected my IP address was remaining the same, which I know is not that unusual If a connection is re-established quickly. However, just to check I switched my router off overnight and I still get the same IP address.

Is there anyone on here who can check on my account what my settings are, and switch it back to Dynamic as I neither need or want a Static IP.

Also, as this has been done without me requesting it, do I have to worry about a £5 charge been added to my bill?

Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Static IP?

HI, My guess is that you haven't got a true static IP. These days IP addresses are allocated from small 'local' pools rather than centrally. This causes them to be 'sticky', so disconnecting and reconnecting gives much more of a chance of getting the same IP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

I noticed a Service Notice on my account on 1 October adding a static IP to my account. This was around the time that other SNs etc., were appearing in preparation for my new contract which was due to complete a few days later (and has now done so). I wondered whether the static IP had something to do with the procedures that Plusnet carry out when contracts change as I did not request a static IP and like the OP do not want to be billed for it! Or are Plusnet moving customers over to static IPs for some reason?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for bringing this to our attention @BaxMaxTuck and @jgb 

I've discussed this with a colleague and due to changes we've recently made internally, we automatically add a static IP to an account in the following instances:

• An account goes into failed payment
  • The broadband firewall is switched on
  • The Pro-Addon is bought/enabled

Unless you've specifically requested to buy a static IP, we won't charge you when we add it on due to the above.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jgb
Champion

@Gandalf 

I am afraid that your reply does not help me to understand why the static IP has been added to my account.

I did not specifically request to buy a static IP

As far as I am aware none of the three instances that you quote apply to my account, i.e.

-- my account is not in failed payment (you are today preparing my bill as this is my billing date),

-- I have not made any changes to the broadband firewall in about three years but I note that it is set to "unknown" whatever that means? As far as I recall when I last set it , the firewall was set to a specific basic setting.

I have not bought the Pro-Addon.

So that begs two questions, why has the static IP been added to my account? and do I need to rest my firewall?

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Oops sorry I thought you were the OP

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@jgb Your broadband firewall is on. If you'd want to switch it off I'd recommend following the instructions Here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jgb
Champion

@Gandalf 

Yes, I can see the firewall setting (which is correct) when I follow your link but that link is not properly applicable to the revamped Member Centre. I am happy with that setting as it is and I do not want to change it or turn it off. There is no "Connections Settings" in the revamped Menber Centre - at least I cannot readily find it.

If you follow Member Centre>Broadband>Broadband Firewall that is where I get the message that my "Firewall is currently on and set to "Unknown"" with none of the Basic Settings or Advanced Settings boxes "ticked". It seems that what is displayed on the Members Centre is not mirroring what is on your back end systems. This is not the first time that I have noticed that - on my old contract the contract dates were wrong on the Members Centre Home page but correct on your back end systems.

Any further information as to why the static IP was set on my account?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @jgb 

As your broadband firewall is switched on set at Low, in order for it to work you need a static IP. This is reason we've added a static IP on to your account free of charge. 

With regards to the firewall settings you've described, could you PM me a screenshot illustrating this so I can raise this to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Could you also PM me a screenshot showing your contract start/end dates so I can look into this further too.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jgb
Champion

@Gandalf 

PM sent.

I note what you say about the static IP being needed so that my firewall set to Low works, but it has been set to Low for some time now with no static IP that I knew of being set on my account. Does that mean that the firewall was actually inoperative and that this was only picked up when the new contract was set up?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the message @jgb I've seen it and will reply shortly.

I note what you say about the static IP being needed so that my firewall set to Low works, but it has been set to Low for some time now with no static IP that I knew of being set on my account. Does that mean that the firewall was actually inoperative and that this was only picked up when the new contract was set up?

No. Due to changes we've made internally, the broadband firewall will only work if you have a static IP so we've added a static IP to your account so that it will continue to work. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BaxMaxTuck
Grafter

Aha, I seem to be in the same boat as jgb, since I joined Plusnet at the beginning of the year my broadband firewall has been ON and set to HIGH. If I understand correctly, your saying that due to changes you've made at Plusnet, the broadband firewall will only work with a Static IP. Presumably that means that if I wanted to switch back to a Dynamic IP I would not be able to use the broadband firewall? Secondly, am I anymore vulnerable if I use a Static IP than if I used a Dynamic IP? Thirdly, which is safer, Dynamic IP without the broadband firewall, or Static IP with the broadband firewall?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @BaxMaxTuck 

As per the above, the broadband firewall, pro-addon and failed payment process will only work for you with a static IP on, so your connection won't change to a dynamic IP if one of those three parameters are enabled.

There's no difference to your connection between having a static IP and dynamic IP.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
John_B
Dabbler

I read these posts with keen interest because starting from 4th October I too have had "Static-IP"  and seem locked on a loop whereby Plusnet staff restored me to Dynamic. However within 24hrs I was back with Static-IP, apparently auto-configured. I can see this from the "Connection Settings" and from the " Help Assistant"

Worst still this enforcing to Static IP is tied to invocation of L2TP (according to Plusnet staff), which drastically (more than halved) cuts my downlink bitrate. The L2TP appears as a Service Notification in my "Help Assistant" log.

I too was told this "L2TP & Static-IP" happens because the Plusnet system thinks I am in payment default (which I am certainly not, and lusnet staff agree with me). Now I see that Gandalf has indemnified two more reasons for Plusnet enforcing Static-IP.

I did not know I had a Broadband Firewall. I have now disabled it in response to this post, and have an ongoing "Open Question" from Oct 15th  to try and get Dynamic-IP ..( and my old download speed back).

Can I make a plea that Gandalf passes on his expertise to the Customer-facing Technical Help Staff so that I and others can get back to the Dynamic_IP  that we need?