Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP, rDNS privacy, Cyber-stalking

FIXED
markv
Rising Star

Static IP, rDNS privacy, Cyber-stalking

I currently have a static ip (not to run a website, only so I can VPN to my home router). Also some cyberstalking (strange but true).

If I drop the static IP, will my rDNS hostname revert to something anonymous, rather than [myName].plusnet.com?

Is there a way to drop the static IP, wait a while and get a new one... and simultaneously get Plusnet to change the rDNS hostname to something more anonymous?

If those two changes aren't made almost simultaneously, there is scope for a cyber stalker to join the dots and link my new static IP.

To further complicate matters, I clicked your Sign up for a new contract Offer about a month ago. When I log in, I am still seeing 'You can't change your products for the moment, you already have a product change in progress.', so I can't even drop the static ip at the moment. At what point will that restriction be lifted?

10 REPLIES 10
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Static IP, rDNS privacy, Cyber-stalking

Hey @markv,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. We could, in theory, change the rDNS to match a Static IP address - would you consider your current IP Address to be anonymous enough?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
markv
Rising Star

Thanks for your reply @TheMightyAJ 

The Plusnet website provides most of the tools I need to resolve this... except for over 3 weeks it keeps telling me:

"Unable to change service

You can't change your products for the moment, you already have a product change in progress."

I accepted and started a new 18 month contract on 15th September so don't really understand why I still have a 'change in progress'.

If that could be resolved, I could drop my Static ip.

Then look to see what my rDNS had changed to.

Q: Do dynamic ip address customers still have their Plusnet username revealed in their rDNS hostname (which is disclosed to every website you visit (or even get redirected through) and every recipient of an email)?

Then either/and take a new Static ip and use the process advertised on the Static IP page to request a change to rDNS.

Thanks!

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Dynamic IP Address users will still have their username shown as the rDNS hostname by default. The only way to change this would be via request.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@TheMightyAJ  In my experience of using a static IP on Plusnet it is the static IP that shows your username, dynamic IPs show the IP address and dyn.plus.net. Have things changed recently?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I'm with @RealAleMadrid on this one.

Dynamic IP's do not expose the username in the rDNS record.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@markv, from what I can see the recontract change was stuck in our systems, so I've reprocessed it now which should begin from your next billing date. I can remove your static IP in the meantime, if you'd want me to. Also it can take 3 to 5 working days for an rDNS to be changed as we're reliant on a backend team picking the task up and doing the work. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
markv
Rising Star

@Gandalf Thanks very much for un-sticking the recontract change. I have, this evening, received a 'Confirmation of your new contract' email from Plusnet.

Yes, please do remove my static IP.

Time for changing an rDNS noted.

All most helpful; thanks again 🙂

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

No problem @markv, I've removed your static IP so if you reboot your router you'll have an IP of a dynamic range.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
markv
Rising Star

That has changed me from a static 212.159.x.y address to 37.152.a.b and Member Centre is now (correctly) reporting I have a dynamic ip address.

When I rDNS lookop my new dynamic ip address, I get NXDOMAIN (great!). Will check again in a few days in case anything has propagated through global dns.

Interestingly, the released 212.159.x.y static ip address still looks up to [myPlusnetID].plus.com but I guess that will go away when the change propagates, or someone else is assigned that ip address.

Great result; many thanks :-)) Will mark your message as the solution.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cool. All looks good and sounds like a plan. 

No problem, let me know if there's anything else you'd need help with. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet