Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP not working

FIXED
missingelements
Hooked

Static IP not working

Hi,

Has anyone experienced where you but the static IP for Home Broadband, can see the IP in the Static IP page but you are still getting a dynamic IP when logging in / connecting?

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Static IP not working

Did you reboot your router after having the static IP allocated?

John
missingelements
Hooked

Yeah several times and also tried using my account with an old BT modem and Opnsense setup, still the same just a dynamic Sad

jab1
Legend

OK - I'll ask for this topic to be moved to a more suitable board  - and tag @Gandalf in the hopes he can sort it for you.

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@missingelements 

Just for clarity ... you have ...

• Selected the static IP address option
  • Seen your allocated IP address displayed
  • Paid the £5 charge
  • Powered off your router for an hour or so
  • Switched it back on
  • Seen a different IP address to the one you had ... but it is not the static on advised in the user portal?

@jab1 in passing, do you know where the static IP control page is ... I have a static IP ... but cannot find the control page in the user portal!!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@Townman Not a clue - sorry, I was always on dynamic although it very rarely changed.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@Townman 

I find my Static IP Address details here

Members Centre Home >Broadband >Configure Static IP Address

My IP address starts 80.229.n.n

Hope this helps

Dan.

jab1
Legend

Knew I'd seen it somewhere on my travels, but as I didn't have one, never took much notice. 😉

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Dan_the_Van 

Drifting off topic ... that is exactly where I expect to see it, but I do not!

Capture PN no static IP option.PNG

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @missingelements 

I can see you definitely have a static IP beginning with 212.159

Can you go to a website like Here to check your IP? If it begins with those 6 numbers you're on a static IP.

If you're using your own router and it's advising you're connecting via a dynamic IP, I believe this would be normal because we'd be assigning the static IP from this end rather than your router doing the work.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Perhaps I've got your "static IP"? 😁

I have never asked for one, am not paying for one, it isn't shown in my PN network settings - but I've had the same IP for years!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf wrote:

If you're using your own router and it's advising you're connecting via a dynamic IP, I believe this would be normal because we'd be assigning the static IP from this end rather than your router doing the work.

Hi Anoush,

Can you please amplify that statement?

I believe I am correct in stating that router should ALWAYS be configured to obtain its external IP address from the ISP's DHCP service.  The router needs to do no work at all, most certainly not to have a self determined "static" IP address.  It matters not if the router is supplied by Plusnet or another supplied by the user, the process is the same and the IP address is allocated either from the dynamic pool in the BT network, or from Plusnet's static IP address pool of which there are many (mine stats 84.92).

Static IP addresses are tied to the user account.  So if the user account has a fixed IP address and the router is correctly authenticating with that user account and the router is not being assigned that static IP address, then does that suggest something in the RAS authentication service is broken?

@missingelements 

Can you please confirm my points of clarification in post #6 please?  Something does not add up here.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix
@Townman wrote:
@Gandalf wrote:

I believe I am correct in stating that router should ALWAYS be configured to obtain its external IP address from the ISP's DHCP service.  The router needs to do no work at all, most certainly not to have a self determined "static" IP address.  It matters not if the router is supplied by Plusnet or another supplied by the user, the process is the same and the IP address is allocated either from the dynamic pool in the BT network, or from Plusnet's static IP address pool of which there are many (mine stats 84.92).

I agree, that's basically what I said, or tried to say. Smiley Some routers give an option to assign a static IP itself, but as we'd do the assigning, the router would need to get the IP assigned dynamically via DHCP.

Static IP addresses are tied to the user account.  So if the user account has a fixed IP address and the router is correctly authenticating with that user account and the router is not being assigned that static IP address, then does that suggest something in the RAS authentication service is broken?

Unlikely. The static IP is definitely applied in our radius.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
missingelements
Hooked

Thanks for the replies.

I have done some more testing with Plusnet router and all ok now.

I have also tested with pfSense and can confirm that although it shows a dynamic the IP on the interface is the correct static

Thanks a lot for everyone's help and comments.