Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP Has Been Allocated - why?

FIXED
mag
Grafter

Static IP Has Been Allocated - why?

Looking through the tickets raised on my account (I am having problems with my phone discussed in another forum topic) I see the following:

'Service Notification
10:41am, Friday 4 Oct 2019
Static IP component has been added to the customer's account'

I didn't request a static IP, and looking at the Plusnet page referring to them I see:

'Please note: Having the same IP address each time you connect may expose you to security vulnerabilities.'

So I'm not necessarily comfortable with it.

Can any of the forum staff (or anyone else) advise what is going on please?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Static IP Has Been Allocated - why?

@mag 

I found the same ticket on my account some weeks ago. I had just renewed my contract and I thought it was to do with that, but, on querying Plusnet on these forums,  I was told that a static IP was now needed so that the Plusnet firewall would work. That was not previously the case and so I must assume that they have made some changes behind the scenes.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

There are also two other reasons a static IP may be added; if you’re in failed payment and if you have the Pro Add-on enabled. This is due to recent changes we’ve made which means these 3 services will only work if you have a static IP.

If you have a firewall on your router and your computer and if the broadband firewall is switched on, there shouldn’t be anything to worry about with having a static IP over a dynamic one. 

Hope this helps. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mag
Grafter

Well my Plusnet direct debit went out on 1st Oct as usual - so I don't seem to be in failed payment.

I don't know have the Pro Add-on.

I have the Broadband firewall set to high, but haven't enabled any of the advanced settings - would that cause it?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

@mag Yes, in order for the broadband firewall to work now you’ll need a static IP so we would’ve added one on free of charge. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mag
Grafter

Thanks both.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @mag

No problem, let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet