cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting out with php

culduthel
Dabbler

Starting out with php

Please bear with me, as I've just started with php/mySQL this week.
As an experiment, I have written an HTML page including a form and uploaded this to my "normal" webspace which is accessed via my .co.uk domain name. The form submits input data to a php page which I uploaded to my CGI webspace. This data is used to query a database I have set up using mySQL, and echos the results.
This all seems to work ok. However, I would prefer it if the results appeared on "www.mydomain.co.uk/filename.php" rather than "ccgi.culduthel.plus.com/filename.php" as it currently does.
Is this possible, and if so how is it achieved?
Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
mal0z
Grafter

Re: Starting out with php

If your just starting - maybe it would be better to look at this new facility announced by PN very recently.
It is based on Pay as You Host fully featured Apache / php / MySQL platform
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,69283.48.html
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You cannot do what you have suggested.
You need to point your domain to your ccgi webspace and have the whole website on the ccgi.
culduthel
Dabbler

Quote from: Peter
You cannot do what you have suggested.
You need to point your domain to your ccgi webspace and have the whole website on the ccgi.

Thanks for the replies.
So, static websites work ok on your PN webspace via your .co.uk domain name, but dynamic websites must be hosted at "ccgi.username.plus.com"?
Visitors to your website may be confused by the conflict between the domain name.they accessed and the resulting URL Is there a "workaround", or is the only solution to run your own server?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I would strongly recommend NOT putting any new websites on CCGI (or homepages) - look at the new PAYH as suggested by mal0z.
You will be able to get it exactly as you want on there - all under www.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: culduthel

So, static websites work ok on your PN webspace via your .co.uk domain name, but dynamic websites must be hosted at "ccgi.username.plus.com"?
Visitors to your website may be confused by the conflict between the domain name.they accessed and the resulting URL Is there a "workaround", or is the only solution to run your own server?

No - with the PAYH webspace as I indicated you don't need ccgi at all.
give your website pages .php file extensions and any page can contain php scripts.  PN will host your domain name
e.g.
www.example.org.uk/index.php
etc etc
culduthel
Dabbler

Thanks again. At the moment I'm just messing about with xhtml, php and mySQL, so I can do all that on the old service. When I'm more proficient and ready to do something more serious I'll move over to the new service.