Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting out and advice needed please

Jekyll
Grafter

Starting out and advice needed please

Hello,
I am just starting out with building a website, but I don't understand something about images, pictures etc......I do not have any means with which to put up pictures I have taken (don't have any come to think of it), no Scanner or such like equipment, so my question is am I limited to just having a text only site? and if not where can I get images from for free..........I feel like this is asking too much, as these days nothing is free.
But I really need to be able to get pictures up on my site, although what, I am not sure exactly.......I have always read that you can't go grabbing pictures off of anyones website and I understand that and never would do. But are there websites that you can get pictures/images etc from?
Jekyll  Smiley
9 REPLIES 9
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Starting out and advice needed please

What sort of pictures are you after, what subjects do you want photos or line drawings?
a rough specification a few of use on here might be able to help.
Yes it is bad practice to grab pictures of other sites and include them in yours, although, you can sometimes get the permission of the original owner.
Jekyll
Grafter

Well I was a big fan of the series on TV called "Jekyll" to see what I mean see link below) and would have liked pictures from that adorning my site, a background wallpaper would have been nice to, but not sure if there is such things about, then pictures say of the human brain (so as for me to explain about my Epilepsy etc........pictures or rather a picture of the brain with descriptions of the various parts of the brain on it (hope this is all making sense  Smiley
I guess that would be for starters........I also wanted to have a Jekyll background for my forum too but have not been able to find anything from the series that I could use.
Here is the link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/jekyll/
Hope this is of use to anyone and that someone can help please
Many thanks
Jekyll  Wink
Denzil
Grafter

There are millions of royalty free images on the web.  Enter "royalty free images" in a Google search. You'll need to check with each site what the terms are. Many are genuinely free, others say they are free but ask you for a subscription, some are free but only for non-profit use etc.
adagio
Grafter

Have you thought about buying a digital camera and taking your own? You don't need a £1000 DSLR with hundreds of megapixels to produce pictures perfectly adequate for the web. A typical web picture will be no more than about 1200 px. A perfectly adequate camera can be had from ebuyer for < £40. Free editor from Google at http://picasa.google.com/
You can have some fun doing it!
Jekyll
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestions but as far as buying a camera and doing my own, I'm afraid in my situation I am not able to buy anything, I for personal reasons can not be put in charge of money, (its too long-winded to explain and would'nt be of any interest to anyone so I won't go there, but I know what you mean and in a different life with different circumstances I might well have done that.......and probably would have enjoyed it  Smiley
At present I am just using the Nvu program to build my site......and have reached the point in the tutorial about adding pictures to make the site more interesting, but I had my ideas of what I wanted but as yet have had no luck searching as Denzil suggested.....thanks btw.
I guess I can't search properly.......although I have typed in anything and everything to do with the things I want, but all I get back is rubbish
May just have to give it up for now (I'll only make myself ill and angry if I carry on too much)
Appreciate the advice though thanks all
Jekyll
pierre_pierre
Grafter

try this for starters  the Brain
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Then this Jekyll
ffupi
Grafter

More than 300.000 free pictures are at http://www.sxc.hu . They are of high quality, so you might want to decrease the dpi (dots per inch) to 72dpi. A free program to edit pictures is Gimp. Links to several million free pictures are here: http://www.virtualhosting.com/blog/2007/100-legal-sources-for-free-stock-images/ . Another free webpage editor similar to Nvu is Amaya.
Jekyll
Grafter

Thanks all
I'm off and running now, but unlike most that plan I am just doing it as I go, ideas come and I just do it, can't be bothered with all the planning stuff, no patience, but thanks for the help pierre pierre in particular as that was the sort of thing I wanted mainly.
But thanks to the rest of you that gave me links and help.
Jekyll