cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting domain across 2 servers

djr

Splitting domain across 2 servers

I'm hosting an existing domain on the FTP server, say www.mywebsite.co.uk. It is currently pointed to http://www.myusername.plus.com
All its pages are static and it works fine.
I now want to start a blog and use a sub-folder of my existing domain to handle it: www.mywebsite.co.uk/blog.
I've installed wordpress onto the CGI server. I would like all requests for www.mywebsite.co.uk/blog to be pointed to the cgi server:
http://ccgi.myusername.plus.com/php/blog ; but all other requests to remain pointing to the FTP server.
I'm not sure how to approach this. Am I being too ambitious?
Many thanks. Dave
17 REPLIES 17
djr

Re: Splitting domain across 2 servers

The only solution I can think of is to move the whole site on to the CGI server and have my domain pointed there. I read somewhere this was not advisable for some reason.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Redirecting a specific folder from homepages to ccgi would be possible but the address shown in the browser would change, and I imagine that is not what you want. In essence your forum would apparently lose its association with your site.
Putting the complete site on ccgi will work. This was not recommended previously because the servers would not have coped with the load. As long as the website includes dynamic content (to justify use of ccgi) the present servers should cope.
David
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

You could switch the blog identifier to be part of the domain name rather than the folder e.g. blog.mnywebsite.co.uk and configure its DNS (or however you are doing the pointing) to point at the CGI server(name).
Mathew
djr

Thanks very much for the advice - very helpful.
Option 1 (by spraxyt) I think will be the easiest to implement and will look fine as I want the forum to be linked with the site. I've spent a lot of time customising wordpress so the pages look just like my site.
Option 2 (by MJN) although more complicated (I have to work out how to do it!) - appeals to me as it will enable me to keep the wordpress files completely separate from my existing website (which is all html with no php whatsoever). but will still retain the link between the blog and the site. However, I've seen the following comment which suggest it might not work:
'You CAN NOT use any of PlusNet's domain control systems to simply create 'sub domains' to point to different directories on the homepages server.'
This comment appears on http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/14
Do you think I only have the first option open to me or am I misunderstanding the above comment?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

That tutorial comment relates to trying to get a domain and a sub-domain on the homepages server pointing to different folders. You wouldn't be doing that, DNS would point to different servers (and no redirection would be needed).
Currently you have this with your account-name webspace where (I assume) www.account-name.plus.com goes to homepages, and ccgi.account-name.plus.com goes to ccgi. The equivalent for a personal domain is to have www.mydomain.co.uk going to homepages and ccgi.mydomain.co.uk going to ccgi. Instead of ccgi you'd be using blog as the sub-domain, so blog.mydomain.co.uk would go to (the root directory of) ccgi.
You'd set this up using the Member Centre Domain Names page on your account - click Configure DNS Records in the Additional DNS records (Advanced) section of that page. The configuration page provides guidance on what to enter, you can use an A record or CNAME as you wish. In the latter case be very careful not to omit the final dot in the right-hand field. For this to work Plusnet have to set ccgi for the domain to basic as described in that tutorial.
Having got to the ccgi root directory, either a .htaccess rewrite is needed to get to the blog folder, or the WordPress configuration needs to be edited to change its logical location to the ccgi root.
David
djr

Thanks spraxyt. I've followed your advice and configured the DNS records as follows: "blog - CNAME - ccgi.plus.com."
Also raised a ticket to "set ccgi for the domain to basic".
spraxyt
Resting Legend

That setting and action looks OK to me. Smiley
Edit: Correction, sorry didn't spot this until MJN pointed it out. The right-hand field should be ccgi.plus.net. and not .com. .
David
djr

Unfortunately I have tried configuring the DNS records but I cannot get it to work as I would like.
My domain is livingwordlabels.co.uk and I can get ccgi.livingwordlabels.co.uk pointed to the cgi server but not blog.livingwordlabels.co.uk.
To get this far, I used 2 DNS entries:
blog - A - 84.92.1.4
blog - CNAME - ccgi.plus.com.
I have had CGI set to basic.
Since then I have tried experimenting with replacing blog with blog.livingwordlabels.co.uk. but this does not appear to work differently.
PlusNet's response suggests that pointing a sub domain to the CGI server is not a normal thing to do.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: djr
blog - A - 84.92.1.4
blog - CNAME - ccgi.plus.com.

A couple of things spring to mind, firstly you shouldn't have both an A record and a CNAME record - have one or the other (preferably keep the CNAME). Also, you should be aliasing to ccgi.plus.net (not .com) according to the tutorial.
Incidentally, I've never used Plusnet's hosting services however you will need to notify them you want to use blog.livingwordlabels.co.uk on the CCGI server as their server will need to recognise the HOST header and act accordingly. Perhaps this aspect is catered for under the raising the 'set CCGI to basic' ticket request?
Mathew
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Sorry, didn't spot the error in the previous  CNAME entry post until Matthew pointed it out. It should be " blog - CNAME - ccgi.plus.net. " And the " blog - A - xxxx " record should be removed.
For this to work blog.livingwordlabels.co.uk must appear in the ccgi server domain maps. Not having tried this personally I don't know whether adding that is automatic from the domain records or a separate manual process. Or possibly not supported at all. I think you need to consult the CSC to check this.
David
David
djr

Had the following response from PlusNet:
I'm afraid its not possible to point to sub domains on the CGI server due to the way Apache handles the request. Please look at alternative options such as using Pay as you host to host the domain and the additional functionality this provides.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

"Not supported" it is then.  Sad
Looks like hosting the complete www site on ccgi is the only option then (other than moving elsewhere).
David
djr

Guess I will have to move the whole site to ccgi.
The one misgiving I have about this is that the whole site will have to be public whereas at the moment I point the domain to a sub-folder on homepages. This allows me to put private stuff on my site which is unrelated to my domain and also it helps me keep the site secure as I can keep the .htaccess file in a folder above that of the home page of my domain.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I think using .htaccess you could probably achieve similar logical separation of the component sites including denying others access to certain folders.
David