Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam list

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Spam list

I found that my emails were being bounced because my (old) IP address was on spam lists. Not because of anything that I am (consciously) doing here and I now have a new (working) IP address following a disconnect/connect. 

I have run security checks locally and the machines are clean; and I have told PlusNet that one of their collection of IP addresses is on spam lists (in case they want to do something about it).

Has anyone any suggestions about what else I might need to do?

4 REPLIES 4
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Spam list

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Browni has given some good advice. Really the connection IP isn't the best for sending mail from as it has no reputation (or a poor one from someone spamming previously), smarthosting through a known relay server is a good solution.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

@Browni & @Chris Thanks. The odd thing is that I'm not running an email server. Just sending the a few emails from MS/Outlook using Yahoo's smpt servers.

Checking on mxtoolbox.com shows that the new IP address is now showing as blacklisted on Protected Sky & SORBS DUHL but the old IP address is now clear with them (they were listing it before) and clear with everyone else.

I speculate that somewhere in the Yahoo system there is a filter that took against a particular email that I was trying to send and added my IP address to those spam lists, each time. Even with the new IP address, that text still won't send through Yahoo - it is bounced by them as spam - but subsequent test messages do get through them and that email has sent using Google (so far as I can tell). I must stop sending that email!

It looks as if I can now send emails using Yahoo - regardless of the(ir) listing of the IP address - and I will pick up a third IP address in due course if problems multiply and anything else bounces! I'm putting this down as just one of those things that are sent to test patience.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that most ISPs submitted their residential IP block ranges for inclusion in such blacklists, as they are of the opinion you shouldn’t need to be running a mail server from your home broadband. Anyone at Plusnet willing to confirm this?