Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam call pretending to be plusnet.

FIXED
kitkat
Grafter

Spam call pretending to be plusnet.

I have just had an automated call that internet is being cut off and was put through to someone about it but it was a dead line.Called plusnet (well hope it was) and told it was a spam call. Has anyone had this?
7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Spam call pretending to be plusnet.

Fix

@kitkat I assume this was a call where you heard nothing until you spoke then a 'computerised' voice told you 'your internet provider' - without specifying who that was - was going to cut you off in 24/48 hours due to 'illegal activity'?

This is widespread, originates most probably from the Indian sub-continent, and can be safely ignored.

My standard advise is to ignore any calls from numbers unknown to you - unless you are expecting one. Legitimate callers will leave a message, these wastes of time terminate the call as soon as your answering machine cuts in.

John
kitkat
Grafter

Thank you so much for replying and easing my mind. I have had 3 spam calls and recognised them straight away. It also happened the same way as you described. Thank you again for your help.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've had it in the past, I file those kind of calls under 'R' (Rubbish).

Old news I'm afraid, had them call home and I answered:

Scammer: "There is a problem with your internet connection".
Me: (Playing it along) ["Doesn't appear to be"], it is working fine.
Me: So you're saying you're from BT, that is not my ISP. Who is it?
Me: (Plusnet at my sisters). I didn't say anything.
Scammer: "What is an ISP?".
Me: "Internet Service Provider".
Scammer: "I don't understand".

Scammer hangs up.

Worst one was when a scammer cold called my sister and she had the common sense to allow them to have a remote session. Wonderful.

I even said to her you should have read out all of your card details, the full number on the front and the CVC on the back and your PINS.

That went down like a lead balloon.  

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

I suggest you invest in the latest phone from BT will block up to 100% of nuisance calls. The phone features a technology called Call Guardian powered by trueCall, which works by screening all calls before your phone even rings. You have the power to block all incoming calls and only allow phone numbers in your address book.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Leapy is quite 100% correct money well spent 

The first time a friend calls is a bit of a pain but the following calls go straight through with no problem

HD

kitkat
Grafter

Thank u so much for the information 😀
kitkat
Grafter

Thank u for ur help and looking into this.😃