cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Mac since loading Office 365

TomR
Hooked

Slow Mac since loading Office 365

Im cursing PlusNet for my very slow Mac but I wonder if the problem lies elsewhere.  Has anyone else had a problem after installing Office 365?  I now see the famous MS rotating coloured ball almost all of the time.  Or is my problem BT NetProtect Plus (McAfee) antivirus? (which I think I have switched off)

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Slow Mac since loading Office 365

Hi @TomR and Welcome to the Forum.

I use a Mac that also has Office 365 on it but I don't get the rotating ball at all during normal use. Well that's not strictly true I got it earlier today when loading Codelite (having installed v9.2.2) it lasted so long I force killed it. But when I ran it again there was no ball this time!

Where, when and how often does this happen?

TomR
Hooked

Thanks Mook,

I was running iCloud mail through Safari and am now trying to use the mail app instead.  I had the rotating ball pretty much everytime I typed anything.  The app is working better.  It seems that when something tries to access the internet I get a slo-mo ball. This is why I thought it was PlusNet.  When I try to run a speed check it often times out before the speed checker can find a suitable server (Broadband Speed Checker)!  If I can get it to run I am getting 32 down and 9 up today, but I used to get twice that speed.  I have tried using other people's internet wireless connections and it makes no difference which is why I'm now thinking it may not all be a PlusNet problem.  I'm wondering if I should wipe the Mac and start over.....

I'd like to start my Mac with nothing running in the background.  You can do that on a PC but I'm not sure if it can be done on a Mac.

Thanks for your email!  Tom

Anonymous
Not applicable

From what you're saying @TomR it does sound as if this is application related. But having said that I don't use iCloud nor Safari. I have to admit I was disappointed to see the amount of default services being run on a vanilla install of the OS, and as time passes it's only been added to by the 'Bright Ideas Department' at Apple.

Is your Mac running the latest OS and updated?

TomR
Hooked

Hi,  Yes.  My Mac is always up-to-date.  Today it started out OK then after a while accessing the web it has slowed down again.  I'm getting the dreaded wheel and text is appearing very slowly in the boxes I am typing in.  I have shut down McAfee. No office applications open.  I also shut down Skype.  Radio 2 is streaming OK but does cut off very occasionally when I do an internet search, usually.

I'm at a loss.  Maybe wipe Mac and start again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a Mac you're dealing with not a Windows machine, so the wipe and restart is a bit overkill to be honest. Have you done any speed test using this? You should try it and see what results you get, there is a massive thread on here regarding high packet loss and dns issues so maybe you're suffering from it as well. Just a thought.

TomR
Hooked

I have done the speed test and got 35 down and 9.8 up with 20ms ping latency after having to try several times after it was timing out.

Not as fast as I usually get.

It feels like my internet is on, then off, then on causing me long wait times.   I'm not a tech so just looking at desperate actions.

I am going to unload McAfee (BT version) and if necessary Office 365 until I get back to normal.

If I restart Safari things seem to be much better for a while, and then goes slow again!

Thanks for the suggestions.  Tom

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TomR - Are you able to use your this software with another browser like FireFox for example?

TomR
Hooked

I'm really not sure.  I guess I have never had a reason to use anything other than Safari.

I'll have some time to mess about tomorrow hopefully so will check it out.  Thanks 

dnh
Hooked

To temporary prevent applications (but not background items) from restarting when you log in:

If you see the login window, press the Shift key while you click the Log In button, then release the Shift key when you see the Dock.

To change the items that Automatically Start when you log in:

Open 'System Preferences', select 'Users & Groups', select the user that is you, click on the 'Login Items' tab. Select items you want to prevent from starting and click the '-' button

For (many) more details see:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2047747/take-control-of-startup-and-login-items.html

TomR
Hooked

Thanks for that dnh.  I'll give it a go and see what's going on!